GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, after months of being neglected (I'm sorry, baby. Don't worry, daddy's gonna get you lookin' good again, I promise) my front bumper looks like shit. Rust spots everywhere. Turtlewax chrome polish applied and removed with a clean sock (shut up, I'm poor) used to take off about 96% of that crap back when I used to polish it with every wash, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to get all the little rust spots off and keep them away for more than a few weeks. I could probably just rise and repeat until everything is gone, but I have a bit of a lazy streak and if there's an easier way to do it, I'm gonna go with that.

I don't think this is a good place to use a powerball (which I don't own yet, but might someday) because I'm picturing chrome polish being flung everywhere inside the carport. Just lookin' for ideas because all I could find when I searched was stuff about cleaning rims that weren't that bad off to begin with.

Oh, and it's the original stock bumper, so it's just a few years younger than dirt.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
be sure to clean it very well!....then polish it out and wax it or use a paint sealant on it....you can treat chrome exactly like a painted surface

·
Registered
374 Posts
Glass cleaner and #0000 steel wool. As long as you keep enough glass cleaner on the bumper then #0000 won't scratch it :read: Follow up with some chrome polish or wax and you're set. If you get every last bit off you can bump up to #000 but you'll probably have some mad polishing to do after that

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Glass cleaner and #0000 steel wool. As long as you keep enough glass cleaner on the bumper then #0000 won't scratch it :read: Follow up with some chrome polish or wax and you're set. If you get every last bit off you can bump up to #000 but you'll probably have some mad polishing to do after that
You're beating me to everything tonight, lol. I agree though. Use some 0000 steel wool. I'd then follow up w/ professional polish, then go and top w/ a wax, etc.

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glass cleaner, awesome. Thanks, guys. Never knew I could use wax on it, but now that I think about it, it makes sense.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ya #0000 fine steel wool works the best for me

·
Registered
99 Posts
That fine steel wool will make old hazy chrome look new, like they said spray plenty of the glass cleaner and u will be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts