GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted numerous times, but can someone please list the BEST mods for a 5.3 for added horsepower/torque. Besides intake, performance tune, and exhaust, what are the best ones that are between 0-$300 range? Thanks :bowtie:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Mild cam too!

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
for the $0-$300 range you're gonna be really limited

HP gains -
cold air induction, most kits are around $250+/-
exhaust
shorty headers (no way you'll get long or midlengths for near $300)
PCM tune
160* thermostat
05 factory e-fans

Performance gains -
mild drop
swaybars
shift kit
servos
torque converter
transmission cooler

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I have an Airaid Intake ($230), a Flowmaster muffler turned down ($80), a Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer ($40 used), and a Hypertech III Programmer ($320)... and I honestly don't think they made any difference at all. I don't think they increased mileage, horsepower, or torque. The programmer changed the shift points a little, and it firms the shifts up and makes them quicker, but it didn't add any horsepower.

I really wouldn't waste much money on this type of stuff.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
jebx said:
I think the programming (pcmforless) was the thing I noticed the biggest driveablity difference. Can't give you any dyno #'s, but SOP said it was better. Shifts much better. I had a hypertech and didn't notice a difference with that POS.

e.g.
http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34063
:word: a custom tune is always gonna be your best bang for the buck mod. It also makes the most of other bolt ons too... so if you do a CAI + Exhaust the PCM will be even more beneficial.

Some people see upwards of 30-40hp gains w/ a good PCM tune.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i know im gettin a intake and tune already, but i was looking for other good mods, i dont mean it HAS to be under 300, just not a lot more, maybe 400-500....but after the comments, i think my mods are going to be:

K&N FIPK Intake
Wait4Me Tune
Long Tube Headers
Torque Converter
Servo(Maybe)

**I would get e-fans, but i heard they draw a lot of power from alternator, and dont want to have to do that(even more money) and plus if i read right on another post, i'd have to buy other things along with the e-fans themselves to install them(right?).......

I'm Also gonna change my spark plugs/wires....prolly wont make much of a performance difference, but i think it'll be better than the stockers....How do you guys think my mods will do, im not doin it for racing or anything(obviously), but if someone comes up beside me and wants to run'em, then i'll be ready....yea, it may sound childish, but i love it :rocking:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I modified my air box and put in a Spectre air filter. I have taken out the Cat's and backed out the O2 sensors with a special modification to some anti-knock plugs. I am about to have a custom program done and hope to have before and after dyno #'s. Biggest advantage was removing the cat's to let it breath. I am looking into changing to an electric cooling fan and also changing the thermostat out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I modified my air box and put in a Spectre air filter. I have taken out the Cat's and backed out the O2 sensors with a special modification to some anti-knock plugs. I am about to have a custom program done and hope to have before and after dyno #'s. Biggest advantage was removing the cat's to let it breath. I am looking into changing to an electric cooling fan and also changing the thermostat out.
Forgot to mention that i have put a Magnaflow one in two out muffler on it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Congrats! You brought a 15 year old thread back to life, only to posted terrible mods that have all been dyno tested already to do nothing.

It’s 2020 man.

·
Some dude on the internet
455 Posts
Ah, good ol 2005. When the 5.3 was but a fledgling little guy that people were tastefully modding with CAI’s and cat deletes. ‘Twas simpler times.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ah, good ol 2005. When the 5.3 was but a fledgling little guy that people were tastefully modding with CAI’s and cat deletes. ‘Twas simpler times.
De-screen the MAF bro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts