GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best book out on the market for rebuilding the vortec/ls based engines?? I have the LS1/S6 book that gives the LS basics and mods but not the whole rebuild. Hoping to have head information also. Just wondering what was the best one out there.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Depends on what you need to know. Look around on www.ls1tech.com and you'll more than you ever wanted to know. Ive built a few LSx engines and many different setups over the years so maybe I could point you in the right direction

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check that out. I have built a ton of Gen I & Gen II motors but this will be my first Gen III build so I am not sure about torque sequences, specs and all the other little details. Thanks for the info.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You got a lot of reading to catch up on.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Theres a couple big difference between a gen 1 and 3...

*LS have 6 bolt mains
*front and rear covers have the oil seal in them
*Need to get a seal installer for the covers as they will tear and leak
*need to have the front and rear covers perfectly aligned with the block as they and the oil pan are an integral part and will leak if not aligned right
*uses roller lifters stock
*no preload needed on the lifter, just TQ the rocker to 22ft lbs unless the heads are decked, then you use custom length pushrods (usually 7.35s, sock is 7.4s)
*DO NOT forget the plastyic plunger under the rear cover in the oil galley. MANY people do and have zero oil pressure on startup. Huge PITA to replace if you do as the tranny, clutch, bellhousing and all have to come off).
*replace the oil pump pickup o ring and BE VERY CAREFUL installing the pickup tube as it will pinch/ tear the O ring and have oil pressure problems
*LS motors have a windage tray stock
*the gaskets are reusable provided they dont tear as they are rubber (except head gaskets)
*have to replace the crank bolt as it is one time use (I suggest an ARP replacement)
*have to replace head bolts as they are also 1 time use as they are also a TTY bolt (torque to yeild)
*the stock cranks do dot have a fillet on the rod journals

Thats just what I can think of for right now... Ill post some more when I think of them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.