GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinions NOW! I am going to buy a cutoff wheel tomarow and want to know what brand to get. Are the craftsman ones any good? I dont want to spend a shitload either.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Just get ones with warranty and you won't have to worry about how long they last just take them back.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I've got some Craftsmand and Ingersol-Rand...no complaints atl...they are all pretty durable...just save and send in the warranty stuff and you'll be cool.

Cameron

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Harbor Freight! I spent under $200 and got 3/8" air ratchet, 1/2" impact, and 3/4" impact, got an air saw, and a die grinder. All lifetime no questions asked guarantee. Only one I've ever had problems with was the 3/4" impact would sometimes leak a little, last week took it back and exchanged it, no receipt, they just told me to get another one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
for hand tools as well as my air tools I buy Cornwell since they come to my shop and their prices are between craftsman and snap on. They are priced like the craftsman pro line actually

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm I might have to get a harbor freight one, they are cheaper. If not maybe craftsman.

·
GMFS founding member
4,012 Posts
Physh1 said:
I've got some Craftsmand and Ingersol-Rand...no complaints atl...they are all pretty durable...just save and send in the warranty stuff and you'll be cool.
what he said. i try to stick with craftsman exclusively because of their warranty and ease of replacement. i buy the replacement guarantee whenever buying a tool i need to last, and if something breaks, replacement is easy since sears is usually close. i had some problems with IR air hammers... i'm talking the $100+ super duty hammers. kept blowing up. finally gave up on them and bought a craftsman hammer for $41 including the $6 replacement guarantee and it has paid for itself. though i do have an IR 3/8 angle drill and 1/2 impact and they've been solid. whatever you get, don't forget the marvel oil!

harbor freight stuff is cheap. you get what you pay for. they're OK if you need a c-clamp or measuring tape, but i would not buy generic air tools from them if i planned on using them.

mike94silverado said:
for hand tools as well as my air tools I buy Cornwell since they come to my shop and their prices are between craftsman and snap on. They are priced like the craftsman pro line actually
cornwell stuff is good quality, but our travelling salesman charges an arm and a leg. some of the stuff is ridiculous... like $428 for 8 metric combination wrenches.

BTW, i have found that craftsman professional tools are not very good quality. regular craftsman stuff is good, but i've been through like 4 or 5 angle grinders and i just returned 4 12ton bottle jacks that kept failing undeneath I-beam axles.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
I trust my Snapon stuff. The Matco air tools I had were complete crap. Ingersoll Rand makes good impacts. The thunder gun is pretty hefty. Some of the Craftsman stuff is ok. I had a die grinder and 3/8 impact for a while, it didnt really hold up well to what I use it for. Ended up going Snapon and have had no problems since.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the ones from Walmart, if you have problems years later, take em back

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We've got a Chicago Pnematic cutoff wheel at my house, works great. All the air tools i've seen at the philmont shop are ingersoll rand, work fine.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
yeah, you can only design an air gun so many ways:crazy:

as long as you dont buy some jappy stuff, youll be ok, just make sure you get a warranty, i mean if theyre guaranteeing it for life, its obv not gonna break often, and remember to oil it up before each use!!!!

·
GMFS founding member
4,012 Posts
jebx said:
I was just on sears site, something interesting...

Coincidence?

(left is craftsman, right is IR)
which is cheaper? those craftsman pro guns are on sale for $189 sometimes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts