GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im ripin out my 4.3 l v6 (which reminds me if anybody in the houston area needs one w/ about 55k miles onit let me know) and putin a 5.3l in i would LOVE to have a corsa dual sport but the dagum things are way too expensive. so what is the absolute best exhaust system in the range of about 600 dollars

thanks guys

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
All cat backs do the same thing. Pick what sound you like best

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
you can get a corsa for 550-600 if you look around.

Also, please don't post questions like this. This question is like asking: What are the best rims? Everybody has different tastes.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
We don't know your tastes...

·
GMFS Member
913 Posts
if you want good performance out of it.. get true dual exhaust after the cats and run a single in/single out muffler on each pipe... I have the same set up with two 40 series flowmasters, and I love them!! real mellow, then when you floor the gas it sounds mean as hell.. but that all depends on your taste

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a borla single side exit cat back and It has a nice deep sound, no interior drone, sounds good at idle and sounds good at WOT. I like it because it was cheap (around $550) and its full stainless, straight through exhaust. I am probably going to get a corsa side exit as soon as I have the $800 for it. I like my exhaust, but nothing beats the corsa, even though its pricey you should probably save up for the corsa.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Dont run true duals on a NBS... you will lose too much backpressure and will lose power. I have a Single Side Exit Magnaflow Catback and i love it. Nice mellow tone, no cab drone, and it looks great. Got it for cheap on a group buy from tybrnemotorsports.com.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out the sale prices on the GMPP exhaust systems at Pace Performance. Looks like they are made by corsa and priced in the 5-600 dollar range.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dont run true duals on a NBS... you will lose too much backpressure and will lose power. I have a Single Side Exit Magnaflow Catback and i love it. Nice mellow tone, no cab drone, and it looks great. Got it for cheap on a group buy from tybrnemotorsports.com.
I can hear Hitman typing "backpressure........is bad, velocity is good...etc etc...":D

You dont want backpressure or true duals on a NBS. I have been told no bigger than 3in single for max power and tq.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I can hear Hitman typing "backpressure........is bad, velocity is good...etc etc...":D

You dont want backpressure or true duals on a NBS. I have been told no bigger than 3in single for max power and tq.
Just to point out, you just contradicted yourself by saying that "backpressure is bad, but you shouldn't run any bigger than a 3" pipe."
Back pressure is created when there is restriction from the exhaust. You want back pressure otherwise we'd all just run an open block with out even running headers.
I agree that you should go no bigger than a single 3" pipe for a stock motor, but if you've ever run no mufflers you'll know that on our trucks you definantly want some back pressure. I ran no muffler or anything after the y-pipe for a good 6 months and I lost a ton of power from the 2k-3500 range.

I've run a flowmaster single in/out, flowmaster single in/dual out, dual dynomax bullets with an x-pipe, no muffler, and a single dynomax bullet.

Out of all of those, I would recomend the single 12" dynomax bullet. It gained power, sounded great and there was minimal cackling.

Now that I have a cam though I need to go back to the x pipe with dual bullets.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do not have dyno results or experience to back those statements, but i have learned those things through this forum. My understanding is that creating power is simple. Get as much air and fuel in and exhaust out with as little restriction as possible.

Backpressure would restrict the flow and slow the velocity of the exhaust gases, no? When a 5.3L is running open headers and making less power between 2000-3500, is it making more power at lower or higher rpms? Is the loss of power between those rpms the result of the intake and fuel not keeping up with the exhaust? Several people on here have e-cutouts, are they experiencing less power with them open?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I do not have dyno results or experience to back those statements, but i have learned those things through this forum. My understanding is that creating power is simple. Get as much air and fuel in and exhaust out with as little restriction as possible.

Backpressure would restrict the flow and slow the velocity of the exhaust gases, no? When a 5.3L is running open headers and making less power between 2000-3500, is it making more power at lower or higher rpms? Is the loss of power between those rpms the result of the intake and fuel not keeping up with the exhaust? Several people on here have e-cutouts, are they experiencing less power with them open?
You are correct but to a certain extent. Yes you to have an exhaust that doesn't restrict your exhaust flow, but there are limits.

The reason why I say that you lose power from 2k-3.5k(personal experience) is that your engine simply isn't moving enough exhaust at that point for having no muffler.

Those who run cut-outs usually have performance modifications in which they need a cutout or dual 3" pipes to accomidate the increase in exhaust.

Like I said, if it were an issue of making the exhaust flow as much as possible, then we'd all run open blocks.

With your comment about air/fuel not keeping up with the exhaust. Maybe you worded it wrong but it doesn't make sense as is. Exhaust is what is created when the air/fuel is combusted inside the engine and since air/fuel doesn't burn clean there is a certain amount of exhaust being created. It is a direct ratio with the amount of air/fuel being burned so the air/fuel can't "keep up" with the exhaust, it creates the exhaust.

Like I said, you are correct is assuming that the stock exhaust is restrictive, but there is a law of diminishing returns where eventually when the exhaust system flows so well, you lose power

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
you want scavenging...you want the old exhaust out of there as soon as you can get it out of there. backpressure is bad, period...it slows down exhaust flow...even exhaust that has dual outs stock has an x pipe or the like...it helps each "burst" of exhaust pull the other out even quicker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts