GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinkin about doin full exhaust including headers and everything, and don't care about anything else besides torque...don't care if its quite (would prefer fairly quite), and not all that worried about costs, as long as its within reason. what would be a good set of headers, good set of mufflers, everything, for torque. H pipe, x pipe, what??? i really dont have much idea about this, but i know that it can't be too free flowin or it could hurt torque numbers. Just want some imput on what would help out torque numbers when i do get around to doin exhaust.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
i think dual exhaust will actually hurt your torque, its very free flowing... you will want to get an aftermarket y-pipe setup... w/ headers obviously...

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
its not so much the dual pipes that hurts flow, its the diameter of those pipes.

for torque keep things small. but i agree, its much easier to just run a single pipe.

for your 350 TBI, i would vote for some thorley headers and a single 3 inch system after the y pipe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So are you saying that with a single 3" system after the y pipes(with headers) will give you better overall performance or just better torque? Cause I have allways heard that you will get the best performance out of any V8 with headers an dual 3" exhaust all the way out. What is the honest truth.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dual 3" will not give anywhere near the needed back pressure to create good low end torque. It may be the ticket on a high rpm race engine but not on a truck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So with my 04 silverado with a 5.3 engine an all the bolt-ons, programmer, ex.,would it still just be best to just run headers into a Y pipe then 3" pipe all the way to the flowmaster(muffler)?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yes a 3 inch single pipe is the easiest way to get great all around performance. i have a single 3 inch catback in my house that im waiting to install on my 03, ill let you know the results in 2-3 weeks when i drive it again

·
Registered
113 Posts
Will the headers make a noticable change in the performance of my 04 silverado 5.3?
If so whats the best brand an where can I get a good deal?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
I would not run Flows if you want performance! Longtubes are really the only way to go when it comes to headers. They will make quite a noticable difference in power and exhaust tone. The Other Guys and Arizona Speed & Marine make great LT's. Id go for TOG's headers though. If you dont want to drop the cash on LT's, JBA makes the best shorty headers for the 5.3. But I would not waste the money on shorties. Long tubes are a task to put on, needs some cutting and welding. But the gains alone are worth the time for installation!! Well worth it!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff said:
its not so much the dual pipes that hurts flow, its the diameter of those pipes.

for torque keep things small. but i agree, its much easier to just run a single pipe.

for your 350 TBI, i would vote for some thorley headers and a single 3 inch system after the y pipe.
Im glad someone can give me a straight answer...lol. Looks like my current set up isn't too bad...but i do wanna get soem headers one day...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts