GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the site. I was just wondering your takes on aftermarket headunits. It seems like most of you are well educated on this shit. So thanks in advance. My take on it is just from experience. I have only ever had two headunits. A Kenwood that I bought in 98 and it was still working when I sold it last month. Ohh and the piece of shit JVC I bought about 3 years ago that has a piss poor soldering job. Now it no work no more. So thats my opinion from what I know Kenwood good JVC SHIT!

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh and I am in the market for a new headunit I wanna keep it under 200 or so let me know if you have any advice on what to get. I have been leaning towards Alpine this time, but I always hear good stuff about Eclipse and Clarion.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
pioneer i have had 2 and one in each truck never a problem

stay away from aiwa and jvc imo

like kenwood, alpine, some of the sonys, some of the panasonics, and had a blapunkt in tiffs car and i must say it was a really good unit

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a ex a Aiwa back in the day it crapped out real quick if I remember right. Alpine seems to have a real good rep. I havent heard anything bad about it. The new type isnt really my favorite style but as far as functionality that is what matters most. Thanks for your imputs fellas keep em coming.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Alpine for me. Lot's of people here like Pioneer too. Best thing for you to do is go to the local shops or stores and find one that you like. They all operate different and some are easier to operate then others. Eclipse makes nice head units, but they wouldn't be my first choice. When I sold them a few years ago they had warranty issues. JVC: You're right on with that. Junk! Kenwood lately has been junk too. I haven't like anything of their's since about 1998. The new stuff looks like it should be on a space ship.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I bought a ex a Aiwa back in the day it crapped out real quick if I remember right. Alpine seems to have a real good rep. I havent heard anything bad about it. The new type isnt really my favorite style but as far as functionality that is what matters most. Thanks for your imputs fellas keep em coming.
Aiwa= Sony so stay away from them also.
under $200 with lots of features, Id say the Pioneer 4900IB or the Alpine 9855? Both have high speed iPod connections, remote controls, sat radio controls, MOSFET internal amps, cd changer controls, aux input capable, and have the ability to do steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
177 Posts
pioneers here, i've had about 8 different ones, loved all of them, just kept upgrading everytime my truck got broken into, i've been with the same one now for a year, knock on wood, pretty much set a record, real easy to use

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
I've had two Kenwood Excelons and one Alpine. Both brands have quality units.

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well another twist to the story. I got another JVC to see if the rcas were the culprit. Since apparently Circuit City hires a bunch of dumbasses here and Best Buy cant hook up a voltmeter for less than 20 bucks. Hnmm come to think of it I should have a Voltmeter. Anyways I get the JVC from Best Buy after telling the tech why would I let them test it if I can get another deck and return it if the problem isnt in my headunit. I plug the new one in. Ohh shit the subs are bumpin. So I say screw it I am going to buy a nice one and not keep a cheap piece of shit. So I got back return it . Service girl was very nice and easy to talk to. Checked it they were like did you even take it out of the box. I replied yeah but it didnt have enough rca outputs. Honestly it didnt though it only had one set. So they gimme my money back. After scoping out their stereos for 30 mins I was like damn I am going to order it from crutchfield sounddomain or something. So I will install my old one until it comes in the mail. I take off the back panel of my old jvc cant really see any busted solder points on the rcas or anything. So I put it back together atleast I have a radio. Turn on the truck and ohhhh shit it freaking works aint that some shit.
The moral of the story not only are JVC shit they have also have a damn mind of their own. WTF? Maybe for some crazy ass reason I pinched a wire or something damn but I swear everytime I mess with a system the shit ends up being harder then it should. Thank god I am not a electrician I only inspect electrical shit. I would probably of killed myself by now if I had anything to do with actual wiring.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
pioneer or alpine imo. ive got a pioneer right now and it works great. indash wise ive seen alpine has the best quality.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
i got an eclispe cd500 for 250.. it has a lot of shit and sounds good..not my number one choice but its got a LOT of features for 250.. i plan on eventually getting navi so i wasnt to concerned about the looks of this deck.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you could have turned off the sub output on the JVC and it reset back to the factory default while you had it unplugged

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Possibly Forklift but I sure as hell cannot find it in the menu or anything to that nature. Maybe the 24 hour 0 power reset the thing or something. Who knows it works im sure ill stumble upon the answer at the most inconvienient time when I dont give a shit anymore. LOL

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
I'd go pioneer (preferably premiere), Alpine, Kenwood excelon, or elclipse. I say this only because these are the units I have experience with either in my vehicles or my buddies that I'm in all the time.

I have an alpine 9825 from the first month they came out, and it's still going. It's at least 4 yrs. old now. My pioneer premiere is just as old and I've had some troubles with it, but they warrantied it (it was bought off ebay, so they really suprised me there) and I replaced a $30 cable on a $700 deck that I paid $200 for, so I'm not going to bitch about it.

Go to an actuall audio shop, look around and see what you like.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
The moral of the story not only are JVC shit they have also have a damn mind of their own. WTF?
You could not be any more correct in that statement. :read:
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my jvc to work right now and it's pissing me off. I made a huge mistake in buying a jvc. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts