GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 silverado 5.3 Reg. cab, an I have a few small bolt-ons but now I am looking for some more HP for better speed an racing(1/4 mile races). Now I know NOS might not be good on a engine but I want to know wich one will give me the most speed an HP for racing? A whipple supercharger or a 50-100 shot of NOS? An I know what the prices are an Im not worried about that, all I want to know is which one will put out the most speed?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Well the Whipple adds %50 more flywheel HP so the increases from a 100 shot and a stock whipple install would be roughly the same at the wheels. I would say that if your looking for pure speed whipple may not be the idea choice as they are really low end torque monster items but I'll touch on that in a sec. A centrifugal would be a little more ideal for race applications IMO.

If you do add a whipple you can increase the boost value and water inject it to cool the charge. With the right extra mods you can make it a real beast. If you really want ideal 1/4 mile times traction will be your biggest issue. I can't get enough traction with my whipple and I got 4 tires out back. You'll also want to upgrade your TC to a more race friendly unit.

As far as NOS vs. a blower a blower IMO will be less harmfull as the power is constant and fairly fluid through the powerband while NOS is either on or off. A preoperly tuned NOS system (just like any other properly tuned mod) will not really cause any immediate issues unless it's abused.

Overall, I would say that the 100 shot of NOS probably has the most initial race advantage but with a few simple mods to a stock whipple system will make it fukin scream. Along with the water injection, tc, and smaller boost pulley, a set of 6 liter heads, a cam upgrade, nice headers, and some dyno tuning ideally would make it totally rip. Be aware if you start doing a lot of this be prepared to rebuild, upgrade, replace your tranny.

All that with the price not being an issue....as on a pure $ basis the NOS can't be beat IMO. The 4k whipple has much more potential in the long run.

Cameron

·
Registered
503 Posts
i ont know about whipple. one of my buddies works in a speed shop and he says that he had a whipple and then switched to a procharger and the pc produced more power.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
tallassguy said:
i ont know about whipple. one of my buddies works in a speed shop and he says that he had a whipple and then switched to a procharger and the pc produced more power.
Different blower types will produce different power.....mainly different in where the power is made (aka high end or low end) and what kinda power it makes (HP or torque). Most contrifugal types chargers produce more high end grunt so it would feel more powerfull compared to the totally smooth power a whipple produces. Mosr fluid power will feel slower compared to an upgrade that is rpm dependant.

Cameron

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for all the info Physh1. Sounds like you know your stuff. An yes 2k1sierra I knew that NOS was a brand name. But I also have a few other questions if anyone can help.
- Does anyone know if there is any web sites I can look at to find more info on a procharger?
- An what do yall think is best Nitrous kit/brand an setup for a truck like mine?(04 silverado 5.3)
- An is there a way or a setup that I could run a Super charger an Nitrous? Or is that a bad idea? :help:

·
Registered
53 Posts
By the way the questions im asking is for Silverbullet. He is my friend with the 04 silverado. His computer keeps fucking up so I have to ask questions for him sometimes.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
Thanks for all the info Physh1. Sounds like you know your stuff. An yes 2k1sierra I knew that NOS was a brand name. But I also have a few other questions if anyone can help.
- Does anyone know if there is any web sites I can look at to find more info on a procharger?
- An what do yall think is best Nitrous kit/brand an setup for a truck like mine?(04 silverado 5.3)
- An is there a way or a setup that I could run a Super charger an Nitrous? Or is that a bad idea? :help:
1) http://www.procharger.com/ Also here is Whipples webpage: http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/default.asp and a nice page to see whipple dyno power numbers: http://www.superchargers4less.com/whipple/powercht_c.html and finally MagnaChargers page: http://www.magnacharger.com/

2) I'm a big Nitrous Express fan myself: http://www.nitrousexpress.com/ or Nitrous Oxide Systems: http://www.holley.com/nosnitrous/index.html

3) Errr...what kinda power are you realistically looking for? I don't think a blower/nitrous mix is really ideal for ease of use and reliability for a driver. I'd really look for a nice blower kit and do some subtle mods to get more power from it. I would actually really look at the Radix Charger http://www.magnacharger.com/ system. You can get them intercooled :bowtie: I wouldn't mix nitrous and boost unless you get familair with tuning and a/f ratios.....your better off choosing one or the other and tweaking it.

Camerom

·
Banned
164 Posts
Look on ebay. You can get a NOS dry kit (5177) new for about 450 I think...
It's a basic kit, you might want to get additional things like a bottle warmer, ramcharger timing retarding device, and a window switch.
I don't remember if the ramcharger has a built in window switch or not, but you could eliminate having to get the window switch if so.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't go dry!!!!!

Get the NX or ZEx Wet kit.

I have a 150 shot on my truck and it is Zex large wet kit.

I smoke most anything that wants to play if the tires don't break lose in second.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of truck/engine size do you have Looney102? An where can I get that kind of kit/setup an how much? Plus what is a window switch 2K1Sierra?

·
Banned
164 Posts
Looney102 said:
Don't go dry!!!!!

Get the NX or ZEx Wet kit.

I have a 150 shot on my truck and it is Zex large wet kit.

I smoke most anything that wants to play if the tires don't break lose in second.
I don't get why people always say to not get a dry kit.
If you want something to just play around on the street with, get a dry kit.
You can spray up to a 140 shot safely I believe, after that, you have to upgrade your fuel system, or you can just switch to a wet kit since you spray fuel with a wet kit
One guy I know says he sprays a 60 dry shot all day long with no problems.
Nitrous doesn't give any additional wear and tear unless you spray really big shots. Nitrous creates more pressure in the cylinders (obviously) so small shots won't really cause that much wear and tear. It's when you over do it and exceed the motor's capabilities is where people go wrong and fuck shit up

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
silverbullet said:
What kind of truck/engine size do you have Looney102? An where can I get that kind of kit/setup an how much? Plus what is a window switch 2K1Sierra?
Have you checked around at all? If you checked the links I supplied and there are many around you can see the benifits of each system. Not trying to be an arse but if your seriously interested in putting nitrous or any power adder on your truck doing research and getting a grasp on what your doing is a really good idea.

Cameron

·
Banned
164 Posts
A window swtich allows you to shoot in a chosen RPM range.
You've heard of people "spraying out of the hole" Unless you got a tranny, etc. to withstand all that power from a standstill, you will break shit. So, that's what a window switch is for. It creates a "window" in the RPMs if you will. Many people spray no lower than 3000RPMs and don't spray during the shifts.
So, you floor it, hit 3000 RPMs, and boom, it goes on. Then right before you shift, say 5900 RPMs, it shuts off, and then turns back on if the RPMs are above 3000 after the 1-2 shift.
With my 3200 stall, after the 1-2 shift, I'm at 4000RPMs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advise. But if I just used the regular switch what would be a good point to start spraying. I have herd its best to wait untill you are doing al least 30 or in second gear? What would yall say?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
If you read 2k1sierra's post he says that most spray no lower than 3k rpm and no spraying on shifts.

Cameron

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advise. Another thing I was wondering is about how much faster or about how much will it change my 1/4 mile times if I am running no bigger than a 100 shot? Do you think it will lower my time by a full second or just half or what? Any one know how much it helped them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts