GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have an Air Bar currently installed but its doesn't go low enough. I purchased the Air Bar not knowing enough about bags, and would have done something different had I known.

I also bought it because I didn't have to worry about towing my boat.

I'm in the process of changing things around and need to know the best way to get my ass on the ground AND allow me to tow my boat which has a total weight of about 4500lbs with the trailer.

I was going to just re-notch and put the bags on the axle. Will this work for what I want, or would something different be better?? I'm all ears.:head:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Ok I have an Air Bar currently installed but its doesn't go low enough. I purchased the Air Bar not knowing enough about bags, and would have done something different had I known.

I also bought it because I didn't have to worry about towing my boat.

I'm in the process of changing things around and need to know the best way to get my ass on the ground AND allow me to tow my boat which has a total weight of about 4500lbs with the trailer.

I was going to just re-notch and put the bags on the axle. Will this work for what I want, or would something different be better?? I'm all ears.:head:
KP 6 link with slam bags.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
KP says not to tow with the 6 link more than what you would tow with the trailer ball on the bumper.

So whatever the rates out to on the NBS trucks, I didn't think it was 4500lbs though....

1,932 Posts
KP 6 link with slam bags.
oh come the fuck on man... god damn this website might as well be called gmfullsizekp6link.com :anitoof:

Listen with the air bar you dont need to do to much to lay your truck out. Do you have welding and fabercations skills? Are you willing to cut into your bed? If so then the upper bag/shock mount just needs to be moved up enough to make the truck lay out. Also you will need to do a bigger notch (depending on what you have now) All this can be done easily in a weekend with out to much cash involved. You will need a notch. Im not a fan of a 8-piece but Here is Suicidedoors.com's 8-piece notch. Thats 70 bucks. With the raising of the upper bar you can do it 2 ways. Make your own or use the one there and just basically raise it. So you will need some plate steel. So lets just guess-tament (depending on metal in your area) 30 bucks in metal. Also you will have to do a bed notch cover and wheel tubs (regardless if you go KP or do it yourself) Again Here is a link to suicidedoors.coms Wheel tub/notch cover combo Thats 140 bucks. SO you could do it yourself have some time in it and be out 240 or so, OR use The KP 6-link and be out 1k for the 6-link plus the 140 for the notch cover/ wheel tubs...

1140 bucks

OR

240 bucks

But i guess if you cant weld or fab then the KP is just right for you. Personally im not a fan only because i can do it myself for less. But if you cant its an option. BUT hopefully this gave you some options other than the GMFSKP6-link.com crew will give you. :rofl2:

1,932 Posts
KP says not to tow with the 6 link more than what you would tow with the trailer ball on the bumper.

So whatever the rates out to on the NBS trucks, I didn't think it was 4500lbs though....

Thats something to im not to found of towing with the KP 6-link. The Lever bag setup that got give you HUGE life and a very soft ride because it takes lower pressure to be at ride high. Does anyone know the lift ratio on the KP lever setup? Cause lets say its a basic 2:1. SO if the bag gets 6 inchs of lift you truck will acually lift 12inchs. Thats great and all BUT it works the other way around. IF you put a huge load on the truck just because of the lever setup the It has more leverage to fight back... Man im at a lost of words for this... I personally dont think a leverage bag setup is a good idea for towing. Now a bad mounted behind the axle THATS were its at for towing serious loads. lets say your bag gets 8 inchs of lift and its behind the axle you might only get 7 inchs of lift BUT you will be able to handle the full load rating of the bag. I dont know if any of this is getting across and making since but I hope it does. If you wanna chat about it sometime PM me I will help out as much as i can to make sure you understand everything AND understand your options. Just wanna help out a fellow street trucker! :shake:

·
Low&Slow
256 Posts
thats some good info. and thanks for saying how to lay out the airbar because i'm good to be doing it really soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats something to im not to found of towing with the KP 6-link. The Lever bag setup that got give you HUGE life and a very soft ride because it takes lower pressure to be at ride high. Does anyone know the lift ratio on the KP lever setup? Cause lets say its a basic 2:1. SO if the bag gets 6 inchs of lift you truck will acually lift 12inchs. Thats great and all BUT it works the other way around. IF you put a huge load on the truck just because of the lever setup the It has more leverage to fight back... Man im at a lost of words for this... I personally dont think a leverage bag setup is a good idea for towing. Now a bad mounted behind the axle THATS were its at for towing serious loads. lets say your bag gets 8 inchs of lift and its behind the axle you might only get 7 inchs of lift BUT you will be able to handle the full load rating of the bag. I dont know if any of this is getting across and making since but I hope it does. If you wanna chat about it sometime PM me I will help out as much as i can to make sure you understand everything AND understand your options. Just wanna help out a fellow street trucker! :shake:

Thanks man, pm sent.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
oh come the fuck on man... god damn this website might as well be called gmfullsizekp6link.com :anitoof:

But i guess if you cant weld or fab then the KP is just right for you.
What's wrong with what I posted if he doesn't have metal fab skills? I don't know if he does or doesn't have welding or fabrication skills, but I like the idea of an all bolt on kit since I don't know how to weld yet. You just contradicted yourself with the two sentences I quoted.

1,932 Posts
What's wrong with what I posted if he doesn't have metal fab skills? I don't know if he does or doesn't have welding or fabrication skills, but I like the idea of an all bolt on kit since I don't know how to weld yet. You just contradicted yourself with the two sentences I quoted.
I just think its better to give him some options. DO you know if he cant weld, do you know if he dont have a good friend who owns a fab shop? I just think its a shame that everywere you look EVERYONE is KP 6-link,KP 6-link, KP 6-link. Like i said before i reasolize if you cant do anything but use a drill and turn a wrech then good thats for you. Also there ARE other companys like ART who make bolt on shit. Also i didnt contradict myself. If i said KP is not the answer for you... then said KP is the answer thats contradicting myself. I said COME the fuck on (my response to ANOTHER "go with kp 6-link kit post") When he has options he can go with. Just so happens one of those options IS the KP 6-link but i just want to inform the guy. Like about the towing with the leverage setup. Like i said before personally im not a fan only because i can do it myself for less. Just want to keep this a Informative forum. Maby someone will read this and go oh man i can weld, i can do it... KICK ass this should be easy. Instead of people crusing the site and only seeing "use KP, use KP" Like i said nothing wrong with that just trying to inform the guy and anyone else who reads this thread.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I used to have the air bar and decided that I wanted to lay 22's. I now have a new frame from the cab back, but I kept the four-link from the air bar and the bags are mounted behind the axle and I also have a watts link now.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
A guy I know had his ART kits modded to lay out. He had the a bigger notch put in the bag mounts changed and the shock mounts moved up further

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
rebridge, 9000 sleeve bags mounted over/behind the axle w/ a parallel 4 link will work best in a twoing situation IMO....

as much as i like the KP 6 link kit i dont beleive it is the best idea to be towing a boat with that..

1,932 Posts
I used to have the air bar and decided that I wanted to lay 22's. I now have a new frame from the cab back, but I kept the four-link from the air bar and the bags are mounted behind the axle and I also have a watts link now.
THATs pretty much just what i did with my 1-ton I backhalfed it during the stock floor and I still use the airbar HD links, right now its the orginal 4-link but i plan to use the same links and make a tri 4-link.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
i would do the slam specialties RE8's over the axel if you are going to change the setup. They are rated for 2800lbs each.

With the lever set up, there is going to be twice as much weight on the bag as an over the axle set up. I wouldn't tow w/ the KP unless it was a couple jetski's or something.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
rebridge, 9000 sleeve bags mounted over/behind the axle w/ a parallel 4 link will work best in a twoing situation IMO....

as much as i like the KP 6 link kit i dont beleive it is the best idea to be towing a boat with that..

Uggg.....I don't think sleeve bags are the answer for towing at all. Sleeve bags simply arn't meant for that sort of load.

As for kp vs art...I think it boils down to price and ease. People like that the KP kit is more afordable plus you get "mad lift" so why not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uggg.....I don't think sleeve bags are the answer for towing at all. Sleeve bags simply arn't meant for that sort of load.

As for kp vs art...I think it boils down to price and ease. People like that the KP kit is more afordable plus you get "mad lift" so why not.
The Air Bar uses the sleeve bags, and I must say it tows really, really well, and rides very nice. I would like to keep them if possible.

1,932 Posts
What are you talking about?!!?!? Maby the f9000s dont have the highest load rating at 1500lbs but dont say "sleeve bags simply arn't meant for that sort of load" That just wrong. Im a diesel mechanic and I coudlnt begin to tell you have many tractors have rolling sleeve bags to carry the loads. Hell almost all the trailers are switching over to a rolling sleeve bag! The only convoluted bags i can think of are on strait trucks with dummy axles. The dummy axles use 4 bags per axle, 2 to lower the axle and 2 to lift it and THOSE axles are the only axles on any heavy duty truck that i have seen with a convoluted bag. Hell they are triple convoluted and the end plates are like 12" wide :read: But saying sleeve bags simply arn't meant for that sort of load is just plain wrong :rofl2: The size of the end plates have to do with the load the bags can handle. Those f9000s hold up for his towing JUST fine with a behind the axle setup. They are rated at 1500lbs per bag. That little boat and trailer only weigh 4500 lbs.... So whats that like 500 or 600 lbs of tongue weight on a HEAVY day? If the ideal tongue weight of 10% to 15% is achieved on this trailer he only has a tongue weight of 450lbs to 675lbs. This cat will be JUST fine. With the sleeve bag the biggest worry is over extending them and with the shocks ART set him up with if he raises the upper mounts the same height as he raises the bag mounts it will still have the same stroke and the shocks will keep from over extending those bags so no worries there. Also with the bags behind the axle it will help with load. Its the opposite of having a leverage bag mount system. "With the lever set up, there is going to be twice as much weight on the bag as an over the axle set up." (thank you Wagon Boy for putting what I was trying to ramble about in post #8 into a very clear way) With a bag behind the axle it gives the BAG less leverage to achieve HUGE amounts of lift thus just a hair more weight bearing capacity. Also as far as the tongue weight being so light, this is the reason I see RandomHero said his 2 friends towed a boat with the KP 6-link. Random what kind of bags were they using slams 8s or 7s the load ratings are 2800lbs and
2200lbs. Even with the load doubled on those bags using a leverage setup. Most tongue weights wont break the bank on those bags. Would it work, well yea, you said your friends and probably many other people did it. Is it ideal, No not im my eyes its not.

badboyripper baicly im just saying you will be JUST fine towing your boat with your setup you got right not. Hell to be honest :imo You acually are using the most ideal setup TO tow the boat, rolling sleeve BEHIND the axle. Just raise your upper shock mounts and upper bag mount/bar to get yourself on the ground and you will still be able to tow just fine, just like you do now. Now i wanna see pics of your truck hooked up to your boat.....:nopics: :rofl2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts