GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... my truck has lowering springs in the front, and hangers and shackles in the back. The back of my truck is all over the road..it rides terrible...i know its not gonna ride great...but is there a better way to lower the rear for a better ride?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
there is drop leafs but i personally am not a fan of those.....my rearend bounces around quite a bit too...and is just because it is so light with a stiffer shock. You could try thrwoing some wight in the back that would help

flip kit and c-notch is gonna ride the same as a shackle/hanger kit because you are not changing the spring rate at all....try switching shocks or like i said already thrwoing some wieight in the back

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has a flip kit and a c notch. It rides very smooth considering im running 35 series rubber.
yea, i dont know what im gonna do...that rough riding shit is getting on my nerves. ive seen your truck at the mall a few times, Garrett told me that was yours...looks good!
there is drop leafs but i personally am not a fan of those.....my rearend bounces around quite a bit too...and is just because it is so light with a stiffer shock. You could try thrwoing some wight in the back that would help

flip kit and c-notch is gonna ride the same as a shackle/hanger kit because you are not changing the spring rate at all....try switching shocks or like i said already thrwoing some wieight in the back
I put some lowering shocks on the back and it helped a little bit, but it is still all over the road...i guess i will try putting some kindof weight back there and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

What I was getting at is that it doesnt hit the frame anymore. When I had shackles and hangers on my old truck it rode like shit, and when I added the flip kit to it it improved dramatically.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
bagg it smoothest ride ever. I'm glad I skipped the lowering and went straight to bags.

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I was getting at is that it doesnt hit the frame anymore. When I had shackles and hangers on my old truck it rode like shit, and when I added the flip kit to it it improved dramatically.
so you had the shackles and hangers and the flip kit?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
No, I had another truck that I first had a shackle/hanger kit on, then I put it back to stock and added the flip kit.

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I had another truck that I first had a shackle/hanger kit on, then I put it back to stock and added the flip kit.
oh ok. Im gonna have to look into that...how much does a flip kit run?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
oh ok. Im gonna have to look into that...how much does a flip kit run?
have to say that mine rides great as well even with my 8" of drop in the back:imo do you plan on lowering the front anymore? if not, just get a flip kit with 1" lifting shackle..make sure you notch the frame though

·
Registered
50 Posts
Flip kit is your best option for ride quality. Even though the truck is closer to the ground, you havent actually altered the factory suspension. Just make sure you notch the frame, and replace your shocks with something worthwhile.

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have to say that mine rides great as well even with my 8" of drop in the back:imo do you plan on lowering the front anymore? if not, just get a flip kit with 1" lifting shackle..make sure you notch the frame though
with the flip kit will it sit lower in the back? I guess that would be what the lifting shackle is for..what all is involved notching the frame?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Flip kit with a lifting shackle gives you 5 inches of rear drop.

Notching the frame involves cutting out a piece of a frame and bolting (or welding) a C Notch in place.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
with the flip kit will it sit lower in the back? I guess that would be what the lifting shackle is for..what all is involved notching the frame?
yes, all the flip kit does is relocates your axle from under the leaf springs to the top of the leaf springs. this will give you 6" of drop. like i said before, you can use the lifting shackle to raise the back of the truck up to 5". As far as notching the frame, you simply outline the shape of the underside of the notch, cut that part of the frame out, and from there you can either bolt in the notch or weld it in. personally, i welded mine but either or will work.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
im still not that happy with my ride after 4-linking my truck with bags.

i'm planning on relocating my shocks to where they will mount to my lower mounts(4-link) on the axle. then the upper mount i will be bolting straight up to the frame. i have the shocks in the stock location. im figuring that if i run the shocks straight up and down they will valve better. if it rides better i will let you know.

i know it would a little tougher for you figure out how to make them straight, since you still have leafs. but it gives you an option instead having to install a notch and flip kit. maybe some shock extenders or tabs to straighten the angle of the shock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does a NBS truck bottom the leaf spring clamps out on the bed support braces like an OBS does when you have shackles and hangers? If so, that could be part of your problem.

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im still not that happy with my ride after 4-linking my truck with bags.

i'm planning on relocating my shocks to where they will mount to my lower mounts(4-link) on the axle. then the upper mount i will be bolting straight up to the frame. i have the shocks in the stock location. im figuring that if i run the shocks straight up and down they will valve better. if it rides better i will let you know.

i know it would a little tougher for you figure out how to make them straight, since you still have leafs. but it gives you an option instead having to install a notch and flip kit. maybe some shock extenders or tabs to straighten the angle of the shock.
aight, im bout to the point where i just wanna put it back stock and ride a while...its my daily driver for now and it gets old riding back and forth to nashville every weekend riding like a bull. haha.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
aight, im bout to the point where i just wanna put it back stock and ride a while...its my daily driver for now and it gets old riding back and forth to nashville every weekend riding like a bull. haha.
flip kit and a notch:read: im telling you dude, anyone who has rode in my truck can vouch for how good it rides. my brothers 03 rode stiffer at stock height than mine does lowered. just my .02 though

·
PaintWorx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
flip kit and a notch:read: im telling you dude, anyone who has rode in my truck can vouch for how good it rides. my brothers 03 rode stiffer at stock height than mine does lowered. just my .02 though
how much does a flip kit run? I will probably end up doin that...ive talked to several other people and they said the same thing..flip kit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts