GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis isnt gonna happen anytime soon but i was wondering what would be the best to go with. I know once i get my 44's this 700 isnt gonna last long so what should i do later on. Replace with a th400, 4l80e, Built700r4 or what i would like to do the most some sort of 5 spd manual like a NV5500 or Muncie 5 Spd. What would be the cheapest? Easiest? and which would handle the most power? I would really love to go to a 5spd but im not sure how easy it would be to do and how its gonna work with everything in my 90. Any opinions are appreciated
Thanks

·
Banned
487 Posts
well the 5 spd is going to be the toughest... but cheapest would probably be another automatic.. and for strength a TH400 is the way to go. I dont know how they compareto 4l80e's but a th400 is strong. :bowtie:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If this isn't a vehicle used often and can live w/o OD, go with a TH400. If you need OD, get the 4L80E. The 80E is basically the same with the added OD to it.

A 1/2 ton trans is no bueno for what you're wanting... :nonono:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hit Man X said:
If this isn't a vehicle used often and can live w/o OD, go with a TH400. If you need OD, get the 4L80E. The 80E is basically the same with the added OD to it.

A 1/2 ton trans is no bueno for what you're wanting... :nonono:
Well the truck wont be driven much so no OD isnt needed but what about hooking the electronic transmission up to my truck versus the vacuum controlled 400? I know you just siad 80e just has OD but as far as ease of installation?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Smith said:
Well the truck wont be driven much so no OD isnt needed but what about hooking the electronic transmission up to my truck versus the vacuum controlled 400? I know you just siad 80e just has OD but as far as ease of installation?

You can run a 4L80E full manual control if you choose, that means no electronics. Only standalone box I know of is the Baumann Controller to run an electric shift trnas, I have one for the E4OD going in my F150. :rocking:

Ease of install is hard to say, dependant on your abilities. Either one will require fab-work...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts