GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who males the best transmission cooler for my 4l80e and which one will be the easiest stall. Looking for a complete kit that won't give me a headache on install.

Thanks guys

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Tru-Cool oil coolers are built by Long who also makes most every OEM oil cooler. Im running a 40k Tru-Cool unit on my 80e. Every unit will require plumbing but its really simple.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is the factory one not big enough? I think yours is an HD, and my temp keeps pretty consistant. It heats up a few degrees in the sand, but not too much.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
IMO, the colder the better on the auto tranny.

And when you plumb it in, do you leave the stock cooler plumed in, or bypass it completely? I ask because my gf's 79 has had an aux. cooler installed but it goes into the stock cooler, then the aux cooler, and then back to the tranny.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My temps are creeping up there with summer comin' on. I am holding steady around 170 degrees but I want to help out my tranny as much as possible when they are lugging around 40's. Figure it couldn't hurt. Especially if I do any lond trips this summer.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
my 80e pushes my 36's around and ran at 150 this winter, with my bigger pan, and the temps being at 70 the last couple days ive seen 180.... id hate to see it when i go wheelin or it gets to 100+....

i have been looking into them summit kits, seem really cheap. can i get some pcis of how youve plumbed yours guys... i was wondering if you bypass the old one in the rad also....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts