GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if there is a better wash for black trucks or cleaners whats out there.

and for my xd black misfits wont get clean with just a quick wash, i need to like detail them but dont want to ruin them. they have like a whitish stuff on them that i have to scrub to get off. so what do you guys use on them?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I would suggest a bucket and grit guard for starters. Then add a clay bar to the mix and apply your favorite wax after.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
so if there is a better wash for black trucks or cleaners whats out there.
Black is a challenge b/c it shows every minor imperfection, but a quality soap will work regardless of the color. You want something very high foaming, with lots of lubricity, and pH neutral to keep your wax or sealant protection intact.

Our Extreme Suds Balanced Wash hits all those marks. I'm sure you'll see its one of, if not the highest sustained sudsing soap you can find regardless of if its used with a foam gun, foam cannon, or just in a bucket.

EXTREME SUDS BALANCED WASH check out the video on that page as well as it covers the basics of washing that you want to follow for a swirl free wash on black.

Like mentioned above - 2 buckets with grit guards is also key. You want to separate grit from your paint and not redeliver it onto the paint where it can cause swirls so if you don't already have some - grab 2 buckets with grit guards.

Then when it comes to wash materials - choose high quality wash media and have at least 2 separate ones. Treat the truck as top 2/3rds and lower 1/3rd and use a separate wash pad/mitt on each. This further reduces the grit that might be in your mitt or wash pad and the potential for damage.

We have 2 options -

The Deluxe Merino Wool Wash Mit (in stock and ready to ship!) or the synthetic wool wash pad

Both are great, both are safe on your paint. The merino you'll have for years, the synthetic might need to be replaced every 4-6 months as they do get worn our and ratty over time.

Last part of the equation is the drying towel - choose a high quality one. Personally I prefer the giant plush drying towel we offer, but the waffle weave is also really nice.

and for my xd black misfits wont get clean with just a quick wash, i need to like detail them but dont want to ruin them. they have like a whitish stuff on them that i have to scrub to get off. so what do you guys use on them?
Are the wheels matte or gloss finish? I can help you out there as well.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Matte can be a bit of a pain in the @$$ but theres just a few basic rules -

avoid products that contain wax - so wax based quick detail sprays, or wash n' wax type products are not a good idea.

for in between cleanups just a diluted mixture of the same car wash I linked above will work... if you stay on top of the cleaning/care with regular washings and wipe downs of the wheels thats all you really should need.

If they ever start to look blotchy or chalky, which does happen with matte painted wheels over time, you can use a highly diluted mixture of a water based trim dressing to even them out again.

I've been using our Exterior Trim Conditioner cut at about 25:1 as a spray on treatment for matte finishes. Doesn't make them glossy, just dark, and evens the look out nicely.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Matte can be a bit of a pain in the @$$ but theres just a few basic rules -

avoid products that contain wax - so wax based quick detail sprays, or wash n' wax type products are not a good idea.

for in between cleanups just a diluted mixture of the same car wash I linked above will work... if you stay on top of the cleaning/care with regular washings and wipe downs of the wheels thats all you really should need.

If they ever start to look blotchy or chalky, which does happen with matte painted wheels over time, you can use a highly diluted mixture of a water based trim dressing to even them out again.

I've been using our Exterior Trim Conditioner cut at about 25:1 as a spray on treatment for matte finishes. Doesn't make them glossy, just dark, and evens the look out nicely.
For my matte wheels I have just been using SVRT. Works great.
2012-09-18_16-22-55_834_zps7e33854a.jpg

2012-09-18_16-22-44_740_zps8aa4c3c1.jpg

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
CGs matte detail spray is REALLY good, I used it when I had black fuels and it was always a pleasure to see that matte sheen after using it

·
Your Mother, Trebek.
20 Posts
For matte rims, I would use products designed for matte finish like the Nanolex.
:word:

I have always used products made specifically for matte finishes. I am not saying you can't do it other ways, but I know that I have always had great results from Chemical Guy's meticulous matte wash and their matte detailer for my Jeep's matte finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts