GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to colormatch my whole dash since Im getting my cowl hood, fiberglass box, engine pieces and amp rack painted.Pics of your dashes and steps would be awesome!

Should I just sand all my parts or my friend said he can just scuff, spray Bullydog adhesion pro. primer with high build, sand, prime, sand and shoot the base and clear for the smooth look. Does smoothing the plastic worth the extra time????? Getting ready to paint my dash charcoal gray and wanna do it right and nice and smooth and shiney the 1st time! I also heard u can use clear to smooth the parts like this:

"Ok the soft parts like the o shit handle on the dash and the air bag cover can be painted. We just painted an air bag cover and its find. You can push on it and the paint does not crack. We just sprayed about 3 coats of high build on it and then based and cleared. Also if you dont want to sand the texture out of your dash or you have a heavily contoured piece that can only be sanded by hand, clean the plastic, rough it up a little for adhesion, spray adhesion promoter, primer, sand primer with 400 wet, base, and then spray however many coats of clear needed (usually 2-3). What you are going for here is to fill the texture up with the clear. You will still be able to see the texture but it will be smooth to the touch. Now just wetsand with 1000, spray your base, and then clear once again. One you sand and buff your done. It sounds like alot of work but compared to sanding its not that bad."

and....

http://www.showtruckscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12636&page=3

Thanks all

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
When I did mine, I started out with 80 grit on a D/A to sand the texture and 80 is a bit much. The dash I did this winter, I started out with 120 and actually sometimes 120 is a bit too rough but works. 180 works great, but takes a lot of sanding and paper to take down texture. That last dash I did I hit most of it with 120, then 180 and then 240. Three coats of high build primer, wet sand with 400 and some final with 600. Came out great. Two coats of base and two coats of clear.

Check my thread on the build and progress of that last dash I did this winter:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148797&highlight=painted+dash

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I did mine, I started out with 80 grit on a D/A to sand the texture and 80 is a bit much. The dash I did this winter, I started out with 120 and actually sometimes 120 is a bit too rough but works. 180 works great, but takes a lot of sanding and paper to take down texture. That last dash I did I hit most of it with 120, then 180 and then 240. Three coats of high build primer, wet sand with 400 and some final with 600. Came out great. Two coats of base and two coats of clear.

Check my thread on the build and progress of that last dash I did this winter:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148797&highlight=painted+dash
Looks good ya I just got a orbital sander since no compressor! Did you do all pieces the same way....like the lower dash and pillars? :shake:

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Thanks. Yea all the pieces were pretty much done the same way. A D/A is the way to go on interior plastics. I did hit some pieces with some 320 real quick before primer, maybe not necessary.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yea all the pieces were pretty much done the same way. A D/A is the way to go on interior plastics. I did hit some pieces with some 320 real quick before primer, maybe not necessary.
Can ya use a 5" orbital or will it just f stuff up?? No da here :mad::ninja::crazy:

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Guess I'm not sure what your orbital sander is like. You going to be able to use sand paper made for a D/A? Seems like you can get sand paper for a 5" D/A as well...6" is the most popular size.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
i sand the plastic with 180 with an orbital sander. Clean it off good. Shoot a 2 or 3 coats of primer. Spray a guide coat. Wetsand with 400. If there is texture still respray more primer. Wetsand with 400. Clean. Spray base. Spray clear.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i sand the plastic with 180 with an orbital sander. Clean it off good. Shoot a 2 or 3 coats of primer. Spray a guide coat. Wetsand with 400. If there is texture still respray more primer. Wetsand with 400. Clean. Spray base. Spray clear.
looks like its time to get to sandin' then! :biggrin:

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts

·
Pebble Pushers
3,028 Posts

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts
Use a palm sander to get out as much of the texture as possible. Once you get tired of that, adhesion promoter and a shit ton of filler primer (light, but multiple coats). Then get to sanding. The filler will fill in whatever texture is left and smooth it out. You still have to sand it all smooth because the filler won't lay out perfect, but filler is a lot easier to sand than plastic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts