GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a white lift on now which makes my frame look like crap since its really dirty so i need to paint it. I really don't want to wirewheel the damn thing so is there any way to paint it and actually make it look good? I'm scared if i paint over the stock rubber crap it will look like poop.
My friend told me to use gas on a cloth and it rubs the rubber coating right off....so thats another option

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I just spray painted over the rubber coating on the back half of my frame. It looked pretty good i guess. Of course nobody really looks at mine like they will be able to look at yours...you could always reundercoat it black, but that stuff is pretty nasty.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I want to know too my frame looks real bad. Im pretty sure i would use POR 15 but since i have a tahoe i cant take the bed off to clean the frame real good.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
i'll probably end up using POR15 when i get tired of looking at a nasty frame after my lift gets done. i would do it while installing the lift, but i've got so much to do while its apart (ie upper and lower balljoints, brakes).

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
it will take a LONG time to clean it and prep it. I would know :read:

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
I took my hand sander, with 60 grit, to really get the crap off. Took me 3 sheets per side. Then i shot it with flat black. Whole process=10 min. It's not cleaned down to the bone but the flat black has held well and looks a ton better than all that dirt.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Si Senor. I have not the time nor patience to prep the entire frame. Its to hot here in ok to even go outside right now.

·
6,656 Posts
aww quit your bitchin! It was 100 here yesterday with 100% humidity! Im thinking im going to get one of those huge fans to put in the garage when I get back from alaska to keep me a little cooler while working.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Bah, drive it out here, we have a big ass swamp cooler in our shop! :head: :worship:

When I did mine I just put some sort of acid that neutralizes rust (can't remember name...i think it was phosphoric acid..), then rust-o-luem over that. Only parts that are coming off are where I missed with the acid. wont work on yours though...you got that rubber shiznit. I'd go with the wire wheel.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
aww quit your bitchin! It was 100 here yesterday with 100% humidity! Im thinking im going to get one of those huge fans to put in the garage when I get back from alaska to keep me a little cooler while working.
Yep, was 103 here yesterday and I was in the driveway blasting plug welds out of an axle with a plasma cutter, now thats hot!!! I bought a 48" industrial fan and that thing makes a small hurricane around you so it works quite well :D . I'm thinking of putting a mister system on it so it blows the air with the mist in it...

·
6,656 Posts
hehe dont weld with the mist around. My friend was standing in a puddle while welding. Bad idea.

·
6,656 Posts
heat weakens metal :read: that much wouldnt do a lot to weaken it but it would some.

·
6,656 Posts
The por 15 needs good prep, use tehir marine clean degreaser and then their metal ready product if you awnt to get the full potential out of it. Then also use a topcoat on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you're happy with the way the rubber looks, but just want to freshen it up, clean it pretty decently and spray over it with duplicolor bedliner in a can. Three cans should do it and it matches the factory black pretty well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts