GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the white specs stuck all over my plastics still, and I can not get it off. Mostly on the textured wiper cowl, mirrors, and other hard to get places where a clay bar is a no go. Any help would be appreciated to remove it.

I had a bad run of luck with body damage on the truck that made me neglect the wash and cleaning upkeep. Finally started fixing the body damage and back to regular washes and caring about it in general.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I’ve always had good luck with a steam cleaner. Usually blows it right out of the textured plastics.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,696 Posts
Technique... when using a rotary it's hard not to sling compound especially with little rotary experience, then It's best to cover all ABS parts. With a dual action knowing how much product to add to the pad vs working time plus spreading on low speed... I never have spatter issues.

After 40+ years with a rotary I've learned the in and outs of when the product will sling. On a cut & buff with fresh paint/clear... I'll have rooster tails of compound flying everywhere so covering plastics and convertible tops is 100% mandatory along with eye protection.

Bottom line is... as you already well know... cleaning hundreds of tiny white dots is a pain in the ass so it comes down to technique, or masking, or both to prevent cleaning. If you do get spatter you have to stop and clean before the product dries.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Technique... when using a rotary it's hard not to sling compound especially with little rotary experience, then It's best to cover all ABS parts. With a dual action knowing how much product to add to the pad vs working time plus spreading on low speed... I never have spatter issues.

After 40+ years with a rotary I've learned the in and outs of when the product will sling. On a cut & buff with fresh paint/clear... I'll have rooster tails of compound flying everywhere so covering plastics and convertible tops is 100% mandatory along with eye protection.

Bottom line is... as you already well know... cleaning hundreds of tiny white dots is a pain in the ass so it comes down to technique, or masking, or both to prevent cleaning. If you do get spatter you have to stop and clean before the product dries.
Thanks. And it was 100 my fault. I was using bad tools with even worst part store buffing supplies. Needless to say it got subpar results so I was like screw it when it came to cleaning up the mess.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts