GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup, I wanna smooth my stock mirrors around the chrome mirror cap, the street scenes are just too small. That and I like my heated/Signal mirrors :bowtie: I know alot of people have smoothed out these on here, so just wondering what method you used? Did ya do it by hand/DA or what? What grit should I use? Thanx guys, all info is appreciated! Its the only black I have on the exterior besides my wiper cowl :ninja:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Badassilverado said:
The texture on the stock mirrors is pretty thick so I'd recommend heavily covering the glass w/ tape and paper and possibly removing the chrome caps or heavily covering those, too. They are raised slightly above the mirrors so they'll get in the way of sanding. I can't remember the grits off hand but they are a bit time consuming to fully sand down b/c of the shape and what not.

I just thought of something, I have a set of fully painted stock gray mirrors. They aren't really that smoothed as far as the texture but they are smooth to the touch w/ the paint. They were professionally done but you'd probably want to sand them down and paint them again. In perfect condition but still have that texture look from up close. I didn't specify to the body shop that I actually wanted them completely smoothed first, they thought I wanted the factory look w/ paint ...don't know why.

Just thinking, if you're interested we could trade (mine + some money) and you could swap the guts of yours into mine. They are manuals and one piece (no cap/cover.) I have pics if you want them, let me know.
Thanks :head: I wanna keep my signal power heated tho :bawl: anyone else?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've wanted to do this for a while.. but definately wouldn't do it myself.. you got some balls :whip:

lol, it's just that I've heard (and seen) that after the paint is applied, in the sun - it expands, which causes cracking. I'm in the process of finding some test material (like bumper cap/mirrors) so that the painter guy can try some new shit that sticks to any surface material (even glass.. I saw) and allows it to be painted.

Anyways, I'm sure some more guys will shed some light on this topic for ya.. good luck :crazy:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all it takes it sanding, then if any other prep work is needed they can do it. Might have been crackin' cause no adhesion promoter was used maybe :bowtie: I wanna do it right the first time thats why I askin here :worship: :whip:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
mine were done right, after a year and probably 20K+ mi, i have no chips and zero cracks in the paint. get all the texture off, and use a good sealer and adhesion promoter. my mirrors are painted over the chrome caps too!

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lowred said:
mine were done right, after a year and probably 20K+ mi, i have no chips and zero cracks in the paint. get all the texture off, and use a good sealer and adhesion promoter. my mirrors are painted over the chrome caps too!
What did ya use to take off all the texture?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Slammedchevy01 said:
What did ya use to take off all the texture?
400 grit sand paper. and 220 for the really rough spots. lots of sanding. then on the chrome i used a scotch brite pad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, just an ass-load of sanding is necessary. I'm actually getting mine painted with all the other stuff I'm getting painted. Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you kinda have to sand em by hand cause of the shape huh?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
plus sanding by hand is probably safer. what IF you sanded too much with a power sander :crazy:

im going to be doing all this as well this summer on my air dam and flares. i will be interested to see how yours turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts