GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just workin on my truck some and seen i have a weld on my bed side that is broke. Im thinkin its from the axle hitting the frame as ive been told the bed side flexs when this happens. Just giving you guys the heads up. its the lower back corner down next to the bumper under the tail light. paint is scuffed up some from floppin onto the bumper. this is 7" drop in the back

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive got bump stops.. maybe i can take a vid so you can see how much it moves.. let me go see what i can do

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Are they the shitty ones that might as well be metal, or soft foam ones? I'd invest in some softer ones

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are they the shitty ones that might as well be metal, or soft foam ones? I'd invest in some softer ones
they are the ones that come with mcg kit. my frame is dented in some from them. im going to be putting a notch in before i put my 20's on just gotta pick up some steel and cut up the frame to do it. i was actually looking at that when i seen this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Worked at a dealership and seen at least 4 trucks come in with that happen to them, none were dropped, that is a factory problem on those trucks, I believe they will warranty it.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Worked at a dealership and seen at least 4 trucks come in with that happen to them, none were dropped, that is a factory problem on those trucks, I believe they will warranty it.
:word: axle to frame couldn't have done that. I've never heard of that before on dropped trucks at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thats good to know that its happened on other trucks that were not lowered.. it seems like a weak area. only 1 maybe 2 spot welds that holds that whole area in place.

its a mcg 4/7 kit with stock 17's 245 70

im going 265 50 20's and wanna do a notch before then.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:word: axle to frame couldn't have done that. I've never heard of that before on dropped trucks at all.
the reason i was thinkin it was that was because my brother has riddin next to me and said my bed sides move a lot when i hit a bump. mainly bottom out. another note i really should have added from the begining is this is a long bed truck

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
the reason i was thinkin it was that was because my brother has riddin next to me and said my bed sides move a lot when i hit a bump. mainly bottom out. another note i really should have added from the begining is this is a long bed truck
I'm sure it moves a lot now that the welds are broken, I just don't think it caused it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure it moves a lot now that the welds are broken, I just don't think it caused it.
it was before this happened..a little while after we dropped it. now it will just flap in the wind. haha

figured id put it out there and show what happened on my truck. ill weld it up and be good to go. im not lettin them fix it because they will just say its something i did anyway and not cover it. they will be giving me a new tailgate handle though because mine is rusted to shit and wont let it latch anymore

·
Professional Mini Trucker
453 Posts
Def a factory problem. In that same spot, a couple different pieces come togther, right underneath the tailgate pivot. There are only 2 spot welds on either side holding the whole thing together.

Mine popped just moving it off the truck on the ground the first time i bagged it. Very weak in that area

I ended up drilling the spot welds out on putting some 7/16" bolts in. But if the factory will warranty, id jump on it

·
Vendor
2,493 Posts
whgere are you from. I had 2 08s that had this issue and dealer took care of them and none of them dropped.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts