GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just a word of caution....I picked up my new 2004 K2500 suburban last week and within 20 minutes of having it home in the driveway discovered a deadly safety flaw! As some of you previous GM owners may have noticed the accessory position is now one turn forward instead of one turn back....With the key turned one click forward I was in the back seat showing my wife how our new rse worked...My sister inlaw was in the pass front seat with my 2 year old son in her lap....he reached over and pulled the shifter right out of park!!!!!!! :insane: Down the driveway we went with nobody in the driver seat!!!!! Fortunately the parking brake was set firmly enough we only rolled about 10 feet and the truck stopped when the back tires hit the gutter at the end of the driveway but it could have been much worse under differnt circumstances!!!!!!! If you turn the key one more click forward to the run position the shift interlock comes alive and you cannot move the shifter unless you step on the brake!!!!!!! How this one got off the GM drawing board Ill never Know!!!!!

Check your ride and beware.....If you feel its as deadly as I do make sure to post a report on the NHTSA web site!!!

Thanks for your support in my personal campaign to get this fixed so that the truck I bought for fun and raising my kids doesnt turn into a nightmare!

Doug

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Damn...that does sound like it could be very dangerous...my truck has no acc, so i have to turn it to the on position to listen to music...and i don't have to have the brake down to get it out of park...good think my parkin brake still works tho, cuz there has been a few times takin the bezle off that i have to throw it in first while sittin on a hill...and its just another reason i always use my parkin brake...

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Dude thats seriously fucked up! I tried it on my 04 and it does the same thing :crazy: someone should notify GM! :think: :nono:

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
I just realized something the reason they probly overlooked this is because they only thought the brake shift interlock would be an issue when the vehicle is running, thats why it locks when the key is in the run position, or the government only requiers vehicles to lock when the engine is running and GM doesn't want to spend the extra $ for it to lock in all positions. This is still very dangerouse if your on a hill, or don't use the parking brake.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
not to sound like a smartass...but they do make parking/emergency brakes for a reason...that way if the tranny shifts out of park when u don't want it to, the truck still shouldn't move...and if it does, it should be slow...

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeah a rule of thumb dont shift gears if theres no one in the drivers seat. It just makes common sense, are you going to sue GM like that one lady SUED mcdonalds for having HOT COFFEE without labling the cup that it was hot?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Umm, read what he said. This is more of a child safety feature than for adults

"My sister inlaw was in the pass front seat with my 2 year old son in her lap....he reached over and pulled the shifter right out of park!!!!"

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mmm, i checked my sisters nissan xterra today, when the key is in accessory, you can get it out of park....but you still have to press the button on the shifter as usual...

·
Registered
546 Posts
lol he probably could sure GM and have a badass truck after that , but wat good would it do GM would get alot of there money back cause I think he would be in heaven going crazy buying corvettes after colorado after silverado etc. etc. i would anyway :head:

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
glad mines a stick. i'm going to check my wifes Impala when i get home though. that is a serius issue if it is all on GM vehicles.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Stu said:
doesnt your foot have to be on the brake pedal to get it out of park?
Not if you have a new GMFS and the key is in accessory :crazy:

I never thought much about it, but my old 03 and new 04 both do it. Meh...I always have my ebrake on anyway...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Crap !!!!!!!!!! I check my 04 ex cab LS silver and it did the same thing, my driveway is on a hill this could be very deadly if the parking break is not set and your cleaning the dash and happen to wipe off the shifter. down the hill we go!! , PRAY TO GOD THAT THE KIDS ARE OUT OF THE WAY, we need to make this aware to GM, in the form of recall

1 - 20 of 20 Posts