GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of how they did the BIG 3 upgrade on their NBS truck/SUV.

I'm talking about:
battery positive to alternator,
battery negative to chassis,
block to chassis

The battery positive to alternator is a no brainer, but the chassis ground is another story. The factory battery ground goes to a bolt up under the radiator. Is there another place that someone has used?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I drilled a hole and tapped out the threads for a nice bolt and backed it up with washers and a nut on the backside of the frame for my ground. I also have a 4 ga from the alt to battery

·
Registered
169 Posts
Out of curiousity, what does this upgrade accomplish?

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's creates a better power and ground path for the vehicle especially in high powered stereo systems. The typical power and ground cables are roughly 6-8 gauge. By upgrading the wire to a larger size, the current can flow better.

·
9,823 Posts
it will help some. The more power availible to the amp the less voltage drop youll get when the subs hit. Alot of times its better to upgrade those 3 and get a new battery like an optima than get a cap or 2.

·
trucknut
412 Posts
Yeah, Ive noticed that my voltage doesnt drop as bad with the yellow top, and I have the wire to upgrade the big three, but I havent yet. I think this will fix my small voltage dips until I get a new alternator.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DONE :thumbsup:

Optima yellow top (a bit dirty) with Audiopipe battery terminals. The wire is Stinger red and silver 0 gauge. The red goes from the battery to the alternator and the 2 silvers goes from the battery to the chassis ground and from the block to the factory ground on the firewall.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Now i LIKE that setup...really nice. how much did all that set you back, if you dont mind me asking?? and where can u get those audiopipe terminals...thats something i should really look into when i get a job again...ohh yeah, nice battery...i got the same one :rocking:

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Audiopipe terminals off of eBay for around $20ish after shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50549&item=5707754882

The rest of the stuff I had lying around from a few big systems I did. Here's what I used:
4 Stinger Expert Series 0 gauge ring terminals ... $8/ea
approx 5' of red Stinger Pro Series 0 gauge wire ... $2.50/ft
approx 10' of silver Stinger Expert Series 0 gauge wire ... $2.50/ft

I also used about 6" of 1" heat shrink that I got from Fry's Electronics for $7 for 5'.

Wire is pretty much wire, so if you can find some 0 or 4 gauge cheap, then use that. Also, you can use less expensive ring terminals too.

·
5,501 Posts
Damn...that wasn't a cheap project by any means...i think advanced sells 0 guage for around $1.80 a foot, which even then, would be 25 bucks for 15 feet of wire...its a nice investment tho.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kryptonite said:
You said this was for NBS....is it an issue for my OBS too?
All vehicles can benefit from the BIG 3 upgrade if your running a high power stereo system.

·
9,823 Posts
thats why they sell that Hyperground kit, it helps the engine, stereo, lights and everything in general

·
5,501 Posts
I went ahead and did the upgrade from my alt to my pos batt terminal...2 gauge :rocking:...need to finish up the rest, im just not too worried about it right now since i only have a 350 watt amp...lol...no big power yet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts