GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if somebody could explain to me which wires im suppose to change out, which ones I just add another one to, and how hard this is to do in the drive way. Im not that mechanically challenged but I don't know how to do everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
From what I read, just add on! Add another cable from your alternator to your battery +. Add a cable from your block grounding it to the frame. and I think add another cable grounding the battery to the frame also. correct me if I am wrong!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
how do you do the alternator plug? thats the only thing i dont get. ill go look in a little bit.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Just tap onto your alternator output and run it over to the battery pos, preferably with a fuse rated at your wires max amperage.

Ground the block to the frame, most people use the alternator mounting bolts from what I've read.

Ground the battery (neg.) to frame.

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tap onto your alternator output and run it over to the battery pos, preferably with a fuse rated at your wires max amperage.

Ground the block to the frame, most people use the alternator mounting bolts from what I've read.

Ground the battery (neg.) to frame.

So fuse the positive? If Im going to be using 0 or 1 guage wire what size fuse?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
IMO i would fuse it also.

Click me! There is a chart a little ways down. This site is awesome for info he's done a real good job putting almost everything you need to know in one spot.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have wondered also what size fuse to run, I would guess just figure out the max amperage your alternator puts out and run just a little bit larger fuse! I had a stock regulator in my alternator go out before and it started over powering my battery (like 24 volts or something like that) and blew an optima battery on me. (Fords suck)

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
So fuse the positive? If Im going to be using 0 or 1 guage wire what size fuse?
Yes the positive, and you will need a ANL fuse holder and fuses.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Ok now where is the best place to get the supplies that I will need?
I can send them out, Ive been doing them for a few people on here

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
I just re-wired my tahoe last weekend and replaced the stock alternator cable with some 1/0 since the stock stuff was ragged as hell. I bought some stinger gm side post connectors and wired the alternator direct to the top post terminal and the other wiring I replaced with 4ga and clean connectors. I noticed if you are using the gm side post terminals a brake line copper washer helps the connection immensly. Just pull apart the connector and place the washer in between the contacts, I got .5v off that alone before actually replacing the cables. Fusing the new cable off the alternator is a good idea as well, especially if it will see more than 200amps...I'll wait until I get mine rewound to worry about going over the 350amp rating for the 1/0 I ran to my yellow top.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
most people actually dont fuse the alt to battery connection. Its a short run and even stock they dont always fuse or fuseable link em

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
Mine wasn't fused from the factory, plus the retard that owned my truck before me hacked all the wiring up and did all kinds of goofy shit for the alarm he installed and some strobes he ran :flame:

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
but if the wire gets hot and melts through, it would be bad to have it shorting out on the engine block. I would put a fuse on it just to be safe. Lots of people do it, lots don't. Just put on a 325amp fuse and you'll not have a problem with it unless you have a short.

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
My brother work in telecom and hooked me up with some 500amp insulated/shielded/fire retardant 1/0 that they run neg48v through for cell amplifiers in sites...I think I'll run a 300amp breaker regardless once I get my other parts in the mail.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts