GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, after seeing the trucks on this site that have the "big lifts" I am considering doing one myself instead of the 6" CST I had planned on doing. If I do a big lift it will most likely be a Cognito since they seem to be the best. I have to save up for the lift and I will have allot of time to plan and consider exactly what I want to do. If I'm going to be spending this much $$$ on my truck I want to make sure I do it right the first time and go with a suspension setup that I know I will be happy with. I do however have several questions regarding this lift so here I go.

- How much does the cognito 10-12" lift cost?

- What all does the kit include?

- How is the rear end lift accomplished?

- I noticed that everyone that is running this kit has had it powder coated, does it not come finished or what?

- Where could I get this kit installed?

- A have 4.10 gears and I do not want to re-gear if I can get around it, what is the biggest tire I could safely run with 4.10's?

- Do I have to modify my rear drive shaft?

- Does the kit come with a new front drive shaft?

- Is there anything else I should know?

Sorry this is so long, thank you for any help!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Silverado said:
- How much does the cognito 10-12" lift cost?
Not sure of exact pricing, ask someone who bought it or call Justin at cognito
Silverado said:
- What all does the kit include?
Everything you need to lift it, including nice add ons like a dual steering stabolizer and limiting straps.
Silverado said:
- How is the rear end lift accomplished?
Standard is the drop spring hanger, optionally you can add on a full leaf spring pack
Silverado said:
- I noticed that everyone that is running this kit has had it powder coated, does it not come finished or what?
It comes powdercoated to your color of choice I think
Silverado said:
- Where could I get this kit installed?
I dont know shops in socal, but if youw ant to drive to dallas I can do it!
Silverado said:
- A have 4.10 gears and I do not want to re-gear if I can get around it, what is the biggest tire I could safely run with 4.10's?
I would go any bigger than a 37, even that is pushing it. You need to regear to do this teh right way.
Silverado said:
- Do I have to modify my rear drive shaft?
No
Silverado said:
- Does the kit come with a new front drive shaft?
Yes
Silverado said:
- Is there anything else I should know?
You ask alot of questions, that is good. A well educatde buyer is a happy one with what they end up with!

Silverado said:
Sorry this is so long, thank you for any help!

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dark Eternal said:
I would go any bigger than a 37, even that is pushing it. You need to regear to do this teh right way.
Could I just set the kit up at 10" and run like a 36 or maybe 35 until i get a re-gear and then crank it up to 12" and get some 38's?

If so would on 36 look to small on a 10"

·
6,656 Posts
you can definatly do that, a 36x14.50 would look good on a 10". Alot of people run 6+3s with 36x14.50s cranked up and they look very nice.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I know that you can get away with running 35's with a 3.73 so 36's a 4.10 shouldn't hurt my truck any?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
36 wih 4.10 shouldnt hurt, I know a guy in here that runs a 36x14.5 withh 3.73's. I have 37s and i regeared to 4.56 and i love it, but i think i could pull off a 4.10. What ever you do, best of luck to ya and im sure it will look great.

·
6,656 Posts
copycat!!! :crazy:

with only 10" of lift the stock shaft on an extended cab IS long enough. Getting it lengthened is not a requirement, just a nice thing to do.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sevenfold said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think the standard kit with single shocks and leaf springs hangers costs around $2800.
That sounds like a fair price for that size lift kit, how much is the muliple shock kit? Does it come with shocks?
Nope, the kit comes powdercoated... mine is silver. They can do custom powdercoating for you, but it might cost a little extra.
Cool, I just want it black.
Outlaw Offroad in Irvine is starting to do Cognito stuff I believe. Where in California are you from?
I'm in Hemet, its in Riverside county just about 20 miles from murrieta, temecula, in that area.
Depending in if you have autotrac or not, you may or may not need a new front shaft. I have autotrac, so I needed a new front shaft. If you do not have it, your stock shaft can be lengthened.
Yes, I have autotrac how much is the new shaft?

·
6,656 Posts
you can buy anoterh brand cv shaft for 300ish, you dont NEED a cognito cv shaft.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks allot guys! I'm definitely going to have to consider this; the 10-12" lift kit just looks perfect IMO. :worship:

The only downside is that if I lift this much I will no longer be able to fit my truck in my garage. :bawl:

·
2,451 Posts
i like wither 36x14.5 tsl radials or PJ's. Every body is running STS mALL TERRAINS and so you would be a little different.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What size are these tires?

I The truck will mostly be on pavement with offroading in dirt but no mud.

·
W.F.O.
140 Posts
Look like 35's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts