GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a '90 chevy 1500 with 200 K on the motor. I have recently replaced the rear main seal in hopes to stop an oil leak. In doing so I have somehow created blowby or something is SERIOUSLY messed up. Is it just that the engine is shot or could my mechanic have messed soemthing up? My father says it could be deposites making the valves not seat right, but I think it is just a piece. I was wondering if anybody would know where I could find an inexpensive crate motor or a lower-miles used engine. It has to last through the year.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I dunno, replacing the rear main seal shouldn't FUBAR the engine, I would take it back and have the mechanic look at it, something isn't right. What exactly is it doing?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Err, you said you have blowby now, but then you say valves not seating? Which is it? Did you try a leakdown test? Or a compression check?

Ebay has a ton of used engines, junkyards usually sell engines with a 30 day waranty to give you time to get it in and make sure it's working fine.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
200K on one motor...i think i woulda done a whole rebuild on it when u replaced the rear main...you either have to pull the motor or drop the tranny when u do the rear main, so it wouldn't have been that much worse to just go ahead and overhaul the motor...

Like willyswanter said, you might be able to find a complete motor on ebay, local classifieds, or a junkyard...if you just want something thats pretty much ur every day, no extra performance motor, you should be able to find one fairly cheap if you look in the right places...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out the problem, when I cleaned the throttlebodyawhile back under "good advice" i just sprayed the hell out of it with carb cleaner. Well' all of the little deposites got recirculated in the engine and now they have clogged up my vacuum hoses. So, i took them off and cleaned them and replaced the PCV valve and now everything is going ok. I have found a motor too. I am getting a 350 with an Edlebrock 4-barrel and mannifold. It is a crate engine with a few thousand on it, and the best part is is that it is only going to run me $200 for that in a yota with a 6" lift. It is a long story but aren't nagging wives great for the unfortunate!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts