GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when you are driving around town or even on a road trip and you get a flat tire? Does the stock spare tire mount hold a 40? Do you just take 4 stocks? Do you have a extra big tire? Or Just hope you dont get a flat?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Spare big tire. I wouldn't want to carry around/change 4 small spares. And I certainly wouldn't want to run a stocker with a big tire...

Stock mount holds like a 33 at most i think...I don't have one though so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If you have any kind of limited slip or locker you have to run same tire size on both side or else your diff will fry. I carry one spare 42" tire.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
Adam said:
I plan on throwing a spare 38" in the bed soon.
damn you guys with beds! i think i'm gonna mount a spare up top once i get a roof basket or maybe throw one in the back if i ever glass in my subs.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah, you either take a spare thats very close to the same size (like takin a bald 38 for a spare for half treaded 38s) and making sure that if you have LS or a locker that you keep the tires the same size on that axle, or just hope you never get a flat...option B is too risky IMO, and i don't worry about it too much around town, but throw my spare in there if i go out of town.
slimm44 said:
damn you guys with beds! i think i'm gonna mount a spare up top once i get a roof basket or maybe throw one in the back if i ever glass in my subs.
i don't have a bed...which is why i don't worry about it around town...but if i do have to go out of town, i just throw it behind the back seats...i like the look of roof racks on suvs too...im just not sure how one would look on an escy, even tho it is already lifted nice and high :rocking:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
dont worry about a flat :anitoof:

i don't carry a spare....i really don't want to have to lug around a 40 in the bed of my truck

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I'm with zubyc, I wouldn't bother getting a full size spare. You're more likely to blow a bead than get a flat. :imo

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yeah, i'm just saying he shouldn't worry about a flat. I'm more worried about a failed ball joint or a blown bead when I offroad.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I think carrying a spare if you ever leave the area you live in is a must. Crazy stuff can happen even on highways. I was driving 99 tonnight and there was 40 yards of the freeway completely covered in shattered plat glass(pallets slipped off a flatbed semi) I there weren't other cars stopped I wouldn't have seen it in time and probaly would have lost at least one tire. Thank god for 4 wheel drive.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
because he had quick goat thinking and popped it into four wheel and crawled up on the guy next to him and then rode him through the debri.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
KoTToN said:
because he had quick goat thinking and popped it into four wheel and crawled up on the guy next to him and then rode him through the debri.

:lol::lol:

I need to find a couple used SSR's to use as spares. I have been looking but have not found any yet.
I guess if I get a flat between now and then I am S.O.L.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
just keep your stock spare tire under there. if you get a flat, just throw the stock spare on there. It's not the perfect setup, but it will work. And if you get a flat on your rear tire, just throw one of your front tires on the back, and throw your stock spare tire on the front, so it doesn't mess up the lsd.

I'd rather throw my stock spare on there, and drive lopsided for 5 miles to the closest service station, than spend $400 and waste a functional bed. But that's just me.

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
May the Force be with you :ninja:

Stock spare would work, just put it on the front.

or, 2 stock spares. Takes up less room than a 38.

But, make sure it fits on the front now. Some lifts may interfere with the stock wheel.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
i dunno i'm getting tired of lugging around my spare in the bed, it is just a waste of space i never use it, it might be coming out soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts