GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being a forum researcher for about a year now I figured it was finally time that I introduce my build to the forum.

Details on the truck: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 Extended Cab (5.3l LMG)

I bought the truck in June of last year with 145k on the clock and got a pretty good deal on it. Here's how it looked on day 1:

1_zpse7c1d710.jpg

From here I took off the nerf bars and door molding, tinted the windows, and added a 2.5" leveling kit. Here's how she looked after those additions:

3_zps56e55a76.jpg

As I find time over the next week I'll be posting more about my build process leading up to where the truck is at today. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, the information I've been able to gather has helped tremendously in the build of the truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing on, as many have experienced the stock plastic sleeved sway bar end links were seized and had to be cut off. So I picked up some energy suspension links at autozone and modified the sleeve length to work

6_zps92912d2b.jpg

5_zps9ac39f14.jpg

I went ahead and painted the frame as well as the following maintenance tasks:

Mobil 1 high mileage 10W30 with Wix 57060 oil filter
NGK V Power TR55 spark plugs
Cleaned throttle body
New serpentine belt tensioner
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned air box
Changed front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluids
Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 Valvoline Dexron-VI Full Syn

Shortly after this I installed a Afe pro dry s air filter, Airaid power tube, Magna-flow muffler with single inlet and outlet

I custom fabbed a piece of rubber for the engine cover to cover the ugly void left from the stock intake resonator.

10_zpsf96e4f9e.jpg

9_zpscd545836.jpg

This really cleaned it up under the hood and helped the performance a little bit. I had a local trans shop install a Corvette servo and replace the filter before I had BlackBear performance tune it with these specs:

87 octane tune
Sport mode on Tow/Haul button
75% TM removal
Delete AFM
Tune out rear 02 sensors

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do you happen to have the part number for the energy end links, and what you had to do to modify them.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
looks good bud!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next thing that had to go were the wheels and tires. I found a good deal for a new set of GMC Sierra 20's with Chevrolet center caps and 275/55/20 Goodyear Eagle LS-2's which really improved the look of the truck. I also installed some Z71 stickers for that extra HP advantage lol

7_zpsc0b5662d.jpg

I also installed a chrome grille and painted behind it during the install. It was a cheap ebay grille but I wasn't going to pay upwards of $300 for a GM one. I think it looks great and it fit just like the oem one did.

Stock grille:

Grille1_zps31ea53d1.jpg

All cleaned up and painted:

Grille5_zps153756c2.jpg

New chrome grille installed:

Grille7_zps59ed075f.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't keep the part # in my records for the end links. I just took what I had left of the two I cut off to autozone and matched them up the best I could. If I remember right I had to cut about 3/8" off the sleeve to maintain the stock sleeve length

And thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After this the truck stayed the same pretty much on the outside for a full year other than a lot of buffing, clay baring, waxing and more waxing lol. I went ahead and did some more maintenance things just as preventative measures though:

New AC belt tensioner
New idler pulley
Lower radiator hose
Thermostat
Flushed and refilled coolant
New Plug wires (Borg Warner BWD Select CH7883)

I then turned to the interior for a complete overhaul. I'm slightly OCD about how I keep my vehicles and when I buy a used one especially I like to completely rip out the inside, pressure wash the carpet and seats and go back fresh. So, to make a long story short thats exactly what I did. While I had everything out I laid down some sound deading mat called GT mat. Again, I wasn't out to buy the best thing (Dynamat) so I thought I would give this stuff a shot and after a year I haven't had any problems out of it. I installed a 1200 watt amp and two 10" subs under the rear seat. I bought the box from hifi sound connection. I put in a new double din head unit and mounted the remote line switch for the amp in the cubby hole of the dash. Of course the rear door speakers were shot so I replaced them and my front ones are still hanging on so I'll run them till they give out.

Here are some pictures of the interior overhaul process...........

Everything out:

Stripped1_zps03fb1011.jpg

Starting to lay down the sound deadener:

SoundDeadener1_zps2000d2fa.jpg

Mounting the amp on the back wall behind the seat:

truckdetail2_zps6d9728f9.jpg

New head unit and remote line switch for the amp installed in cubby hole in dash:

Headunit_zps572aa52c.jpg

Test fitting the sub box:

SoundDeadener3_zps694d9b30.jpg

Going back with the carpet padding:

truckdetail1_zpsdac94a40.jpg

I had to cut out the padding on the back wall to mount the amp. I just used heavy duty velcro to hold the amp on and it's held perfectly

Amp1_zpsda92eb8b.jpg

Here it is with the carpet back in before the seats and trim:

truckdetail8_zpsbe065f96.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next I got around to installing a DIC switch and new bowtie steering wheel airbag emblem. I bought the DIC from gm parts direct and the emblem from ebay

DICSwitch1_zps03fcfa60.jpg

Before:

1Before_zpsf168984d.jpg

And after:

2After_zpsfe37d86b.jpg

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
awesome progress, guess you could say I have OCD like you lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a picture from fall 2013 after a good cleanup

Photo4_zps2124cd53.jpg

And one from spring of this year (2014)

Photo3_zps929e7819.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALLTERRAIN - Thanks man, its been a lot of work but its all worth it in the end and doing it yourself is almost always cost worthy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a lot of research through the forums I finally decided to go with a Rough Country 5" suspension lift with bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks up front. Being that the truck had 151k on it at the time of the lift and all of the front components looked to be original I went ahead and replaced them all

Here is a parts list of what I replaced including part #'s where I could:

Bilstein front adjustable shocks Part # 24-186940 (QTY: 2)
RCX 5" Suspension lift kit with kicker braces from MPC
Moog front-end replacement parts:
- Upper control arm (steel) complete with bushings and greasable ball joint Problem Solver
Part # K80669 (L)
Part # K80670 (R)
- Lower control arm (steel) complete with bushings and greasable ball joint Problem Solver
Part # CK620956 (L)
Part # CK620955 (R)
- Inner tie rod end Problem Solver
Part # EV800084 (QTY: 2)
- Outer tie rod end Problem Solver
Part # ES800223 (QTY: 2)
- Upper control arm alignment cam bolt kit
Part # K100026 (QTY: 2)
During the teardown I also noticed that one of the front wheel bearings was close to going out and the other one still felt good but looked to be of the same age so I replaced them with Timkens part # SP500301

I also threw in some Duralast remaned cv axles since mine were original

Here are some pictures of the teardown and rebuild with the lift kit:

Teardown1_zps024e8084.jpg

Teardown7_zps909e9512.jpg

Differential completely out:

Teardown9_zps74ff43ac.jpg

All of the old parts taken out:

Teardown13_zps7a9584df.jpg

Old CV axles:

Teardown6_zps9fd13eac.jpg

New bilstein 5100 shocks installed into original strut assembly:

Photo2_zps545d9448.jpg

New lift kit parts :favorites37:

LiftParts_zps1da347c8.jpg

Picture with just the front done:

Front4_zpscc62ab14.jpg

Front suspension with lift installed:

Front1_zpsf1597875.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The install on the rear only took about 2 hours thankfully here are some pictures of the rear and then with the lift done on the stock size tires

Photo20_zps3afe0418.jpg

Photo1_zpsded5b0cc.jpg

Photo2_zps57ec995d.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When picking out tires I flip flopped a lot. I thought about Nitto trail grapplers or Toyo open country MT's for a long time but wanted something agressive and quiet (hard to get I know). Nitto terra grapplers are quiet but weren't quite agressive enough for me. I eventually settled on some Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtremes and am very happy with them. I went with 35/12.50/20s and they fit fine with minimal rubbing on the lower front valence that I have since removed. Here are some pictures

Photo12_zps91e27c0e.jpg

Photo15_zpsfc730c11.jpg

Photo14_zpsa8504696.jpg

Photo13_zps165829d8.jpg

Here's one far enough away to see the kicker braces:

Photo18_zps1f1342ad.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's another picture from a different angle

Photo17_zps71b04c4d.jpg

Overall the truck drives and rides better than it did in stock form, so I'm happy with that for sure. However, after the lift the front driveshaft developed a vibration and after removing the shaft all is good. I'm going to install some new u Joints in it and see if that fixed the vibration. The ones in it seemed original. Time will tell if this actually fixed it though

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Here's another picture from a different angle

Photo17_zps71b04c4d.jpg

Overall the truck drives and rides better than it did in stock form, so I'm happy with that for sure. However, after the lift the front driveshaft developed a vibration and after removing the shaft all is good. I'm going to install some new u Joints in it and see if that fixed the vibration. The ones in it seemed original. Time will tell if this actually fixed it though
I think just lose the door emblems and your set, I did im so happy I got rid of all that, I just need clears now, if I ever get the balls to crack mine open.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Looks great. Painted mirror caps, cleared heads, and chop off tail pipe would be a couple ideas.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ALLTERRAIN - I do think your white truck looks better with the silverado emblems removed but I kinda like the chrome accent with the chrome wheels and grille

I'm thinking about chrome mirror caps and door handles instead of painted, I'm not usually a fan of more chrome but on a darker color and with chrome wheels and front grille I think it will blend well

And here are some pictures with the valence removed. I definitely like it better

photo4_zps85e424dd.jpg

photo5_zps55ec1ea8.jpg

photo2_zpse49e7236.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts