GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,(and i did search), Does changing plug wires to a bigger size actually make any difference in performance or anything?

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are and not completely stock, bolt ons, just seen and heard of people putting bigger wires to add "performance" and was just asking, i dont see how they really would but just thought id ask

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
I put Taylor 10.4 mm wires on my truck knowing I wouldn't get a gain; I just got them because they were cheap and snapped onto the plugs positively.

I have MSD's on my Camaro and I hate them. Its hard to tell if the wire is seated on the plug right or not.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
dont be too sure.. use a DMM (digital multi meter) and check the OHMs on the stock wires vs the MSD and then retract your statement... dont post like you know if you dont know what your talking about... no pun intended
Tell us why you think low ohmage is better on a stock motor?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Tell us why you think low ohmage is better on a stock motor?
Not intended to disagree with you Matt just pointing out your statement as I would like to know aswell.

Ohms is a measurment of resistance of electricity. Resistance is the amount of current that will flow. High resistance will allow little current to flow, Low resistance will allow a large amout of current to flow.

BTW info was used from this site to help you guys with ohms
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

I agree with denaliano and want to know why other wires are better than stock if indeed they really are. Does anyone have 2 sets of wries they'd like to Ohom out for GMFS and we can make an assumption as to

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not intended to disagree with you Matt just pointing out your statement as I would like to know aswell.

Ohms is a measurment of resistance of electricity. Resistance is the amount of current that will flow. High resistance will allow little current to flow, Low resistance will allow a large amout of current to flow.

BTW info was used from this site to help you guys with ohms
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

I agree with denaliano and want to know why other wires are better than stock if indeed they really are. Does anyone have 2 sets of wries they'd like to Ohom out for GMFS and we can make an assumption as to

stock motor or not doesnt matter....like i stated before when you have checked "for yourself" with a DMM to witness the OHM on other wires then you will know what im talking about... you get a hotter spark for better fuel atomization...

why do you put an exhaust on a "stock motor"? why do you put a CAI on a "stock" motor? because they are better performing than stock correct...

exactly my point, but im not gonna argue, if you want stock wires more power to you, Im just calling it like it is.. no pun intended
:big_banana_Dance:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
dont be too sure.. use a DMM (digital multi meter) and check the OHMs on the stock wires vs the MSD and then retract your statement... dont post like you know if you dont know what your talking about... no pun intended

Yup. That's why everyone sees huge gains in swapping plug wires. So if GM makes shitty plug wires and we would see better power and MPG with better ones, why wouldn't they manufacture better ones? I'm sure they'd love to claim 10 more HP and 1 more MPG, right?

You're wrong.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
stock motor or not doesnt matter....like i stated before when you have checked "for yourself" with a DMM to witness the OHM on other wires then you will know what im talking about... you get a hotter spark for better fuel atomization...

why do you put an exhaust on a "stock motor"? why do you put a CAI on a "stock" motor? because they are better performing than stock correct...

exactly my point, but im not gonna argue, if you want stock wires more power to you, Im just calling it like it is.. no pun intended
What was your findings? Thats what I want to know. I have my stock wires on a stock LQ4. i am not going to buy another set of wires to test this. I just want to know what was your results with your DMM? Care to share?

·
Banned
133 Posts
the OEM wires BLOW... I tried to check my plugs back when i had about 40k on my truck and the wire ripped right in half.. stockers dry out easily/crack and can randomly arc if moisture comes in contact with them. MSD 8.5s own all.. and yes they have MUCH lower resistance than OEM 7mm wires not to mention the far better insulation

·
Registered
283 Posts
What was your findings? Thats what I want to know. I have my stock wires on a stock LQ4. i am not going to buy another set of wires to test this. I just want to know what was your results with your DMM? Care to share?
It was over 3 years ago, I dont remember off the top of my head... I'll have to find the oem wire to test them again.. sorry

1 - 20 of 55 Posts