GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm trying to save some Boyd's i bought yesterday but i have never delt with billet before. I hate them already. These things are rough and need some serious help. I'm wondering if anybody had a list of steps or advice. Me and some friends are dedicating tonight and a 30 pack to getting 2 of these wheels back in shape. We tried some aluminum polish but that does nothing. Please help. I know Mike from cali on here is the master at polishing these things. Can't remember his exact screen name though so i can pm him. here is a pic. don't mind the polish. also added a pic of my puppy. who doesn't love a picture of a puppy?

53c5455a.jpg

c2edfadf.jpg

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
laynlow77

badrun is badass too

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
If the polish isn't helping at all you might want to make sure the wheels weren't coated... I know a lot of guys who get billet wheels get sick and tired of the work of upkeep so they have them cleared.

Did you get any black transfer when you tried to polish them??

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah def get black. we went and bought some no 7 rubbing compound and polishing compound. its working way better but i'm not seeing the end result i would like to see. were doing rubbing compund with terry cloth then polishing compound with terry cloth then mothers aluminum polish with micro fiber. here is some pics of progress
only the fronts of those 3 spokes have been worked on

upclose after some serious work

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a freaking night. I will never own billet wheels. Best thing we did was make a midnight run to wally world for a mothers powerball. did wonders.

Here is some before and after pics.

53c5455a.jpg

roomie doin work
d7fbe320.jpg

22dd1115.jpg

99740ba1.jpg

Night and day difference
17506b21.jpg

All said and done i'm not 100% happy but i will take what i can get. It would take a pro to get these looking any better then this.

Expect to see these for sale very soon :)

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,189 Posts
Those are the Boyd Magneatos and are a cast wheel and done shine worth a shit.A friend of mine had them on his S-10 and hated them also.He could get them semi-shiny but after a few rains then they were spotted all to hell.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
go head and wax them to get a coat of sealent on them to prevent from water spots and shit. some boyd wheels just done sign worth a shit. my boyds shined pretty good but not great.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i assumed these Would only get so shiny after working with them for a bit. Only thing i will do with these wheels after this is sell them lol.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
i think one big thing that affects the finished is the way the wheels were finished during manufacturing process. ive seeen brand new centerlines with like little swirls in them.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No way. They were bought to flip. SS should be bye bye in the next week or 2 anyway.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If you want to get a better gloss out of them you need to wet sand them and then polish them. Thats how i remove scratches as well. Don't go too aggressive on the grit because it doesnt take much to take scratches out of billets.

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts
i got some wheels for my car that were really bad. wet sanding and polish is the only way.
005.jpg

005-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

wet 800 1000 1500 2000 then polished

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Just wondering but why would it not work on cast wheels? As long as they are aluminum it shouldn't be a problem.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have done as much as i want with these 2. When i get the other 2 i i will clean them the same way then sell them.

Next ride will be a 03-06 tahoe/yukon or crew cab silverado/seirra. Cash deal this time :) it's time to kill that monthly car payment. Glad i have some good equity in the SS.

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts
Just wondering but why would it not work on cast wheels? As long as they are aluminum it shouldn't be a problem.
i would like to know thw same. the block that they are milled from had to be like the same thing as far as a cast imo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts