GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of Bilstein shocks on the front of my truck. I have them set at the top setting. Once I intalled them I checked all the hardware and I noticed that the upper nut that threads onto the shock shaft is loose. What is the trick to tighten this down with the shock still installed on the truck?

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Just tighten it with the weight of the truck on the shocks, I had to do this on mine and I believe a lot of others had to as well. It's hard to get that nut fully tightened down without the weight of the vehicle compressing down the springs.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the nut might be loose from reading a bunch of forum posts and that is way I checked them once I installed them.

What tool do you use to get it tight? I tried using regular 15mm and 1/4" wrenches and couldn't get it to move much. I stopped because I didn't want to mess up the nut.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grabbed a different wrench from the tool box and it had a better bit on the nut so I got it snug now. I will look at work tomorrow and see if I can find a better wrench so I can tighten it down more.

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
I put a long socket on it and used my Milwaukee impact, then used a torque wrench to get it in spec

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try the air impact at work tomorrow. I used my electric impact and it just spun the shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts