GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to installing my lift I purchased Bilstien 5100's for all 4 corners. While installing the lift kit I put the rears on. Well I finished up the lift the other day and took it in for an alignment as well as have the fronts 5100's installed. The guy at the shop quoted me $300 just to install the shocks. I just about passed out. Now, it took me all of about 10 minutes to remove the strut assembly from my truck when installing my lift in my driveway, and he's saying its a 3hr job @ $100/hr labor. I told him not to install them. I'm going to let the suspension settle and find a shop w/ a better price before I get them put on. I know a lot of you guys run these, so what did you pay for the install?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I had a local tire shop charge me $40 to swap the bilsteins onto my factory struts. Then I put both the whole strut assemblies on my truck in less than 30 minutes

·
Married and broke
1,854 Posts
Pull your struts and take them into a shop to have them swap the springs for you. ANYTHING you can do yourself saves you from paying someone else to.

·
07 NNBS
237 Posts
Do these assist in a lift at all or do they just ride better with a lift? I have a leveling kit and want another inch or two without going with a full lift kit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your biggest issue doing it yourself is compressing the springs. Gotta have the right tools. Like suggested above, remove the struts yourself and find a shop that will swap them for you and reinstall yourself, will save you mucho dinero!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Shop near me wanted a similar price, I installed them myself (twice now) & it's pretty easy.

Do these assist in a lift at all or do they just ride better with a lift? I have a leveling kit and want another inch or two without going with a full lift kit.

They have stock, .59, 1.18, 1.77" settings iirc. So yes you can use them for more lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for response guys. If I had a spring compressor, I would do them myself. I called around to some of the local chain auto shops today with no luck. The only place that even had a spring compressor was a Firestone and the manager said he can't do it unless I drop the truck off and have them remove the strut. My last option is a local custom shop that specializes in Jeeps. Hopefully their willing to do it.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Thanks for response guys. If I had a spring compressor, I would do them myself. I called around to some of the local chain auto shops today with no luck. The only place that even had a spring compressor was a Firestone and the manager said he can't do it unless I drop the truck off and have them remove the strut. My last option is a local custom shop that specializes in Jeeps. Hopefully their willing to do it.
parts stores dont rent spring compressors near you?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're close enough I'll drive up and help you swap it out. I have a spring compressor.
Gator, I appreciate the offer man, Nice to know that people are still willing to go out of their way to help others these days. But I was able to get in touch with a place in Chads Ford, about 20 miles away that said they can do it for $100. They are also going to check my alignment when done and double check my work to make sure I torqued everything to spec during the lift install.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
Chadds Ford?!?

I'm like 10 mins from there! :crazy: where do you live...?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Advance auto loans the strut tool down here. I'm surprised no one around there does.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Advance auto loans the strut tool down here. I'm surprised no one around there does.
The rentable strut compressors worth a shit?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts