GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finished up installing the rear hangers in my tahoe (looks badass BTW) then I moved to the front to install the drop keys, but I couldn't get the bastards out.

I took the steel plate and the bolt out and figured that the keys would be loose, but no. I beat the crossmember with a hammer, sprayed the torsion bars down with PB Blaster where they go into the key, beat on the crossmember some more with a 3# sedge and finally got pissed and put it back together with the stock keys decranked.

Now is there something special that I have to do to get the keys out? I'm pretty sure that they are just suppost to come out, but I have to make sure. But in the process I found that the drivers side torsion bar crossmember mount was broken so I have to order that from GM tomorrow and I had to cancel my alignment appointment

So help me out if you can. I really don't want to have to rip the whole front end apart or drop the tranny crossmember if I don't have to, but it looks like it may be heading that way

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Is there any load on the bars? See if you can wiggle it to break it loose at the lower control arms. Let the pb blaster soak for a bit, take a long bar, (i usually use a piece of rebar but you could use the jack handle) and put it in the hole in the torsion bar crossmemeber, then beat the shit out of it. I also wedged a prybar in between the key and crossmember to keep it from moving. I think you will need a bigger hammer tho. I use at least a 6 pound sledge. A little heat can help too. Mines an 04 and they were in there pretty good. Good luck.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I was thinking about heating the keys a little, but was worried about the bars getting screwed up. But the bars are stuck in the control arms too. But I have a long piece of 1" solid pipe that I can put through the front and beat it back.

But I ordered the torsion crossmember mounts today and I am going to work on it again soon, but something has to happen, the rear is 3.5" lower than the front now LOL

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have any ideas for me?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts