GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured the title would bring some people in (it always does when you mention a handheld programmer and Blackbear Tune in the thread title). I just hope I don't get jumped on like people in those threads. Well, suckered someone (hate to say it that way) into buying my Edge Evolution Programmer for $330 on Ebay. I liked it, but it didn't give me much better gas mileage like I had hoped for. I figured I should have listened to everyone instead and went with the Blackbear Tune. I plan on getting this done the next time Justin is around. I just have a few questions I was hoping to get some answers for.

1. What would be the total cost I am looking at with doing the live tune? For instance, would I need to pay for the core charge if he is going to program it on the spot? If not, will I need to buy a backup core in case the tuned one gets flashed over at the dealership? On the website, a core charge for my truck would be $160. Why does it say in the graph that a core charge for in person tuning would be $60 - $220? The most expensive one is mine for $160. Where does the extra money come into?

2. Is anyone running the 87 octane tune? I don't ever run higher grade and I really don't want to. What performance are you seeing out of it. Also, he can put my tow/haul button to a performance setting right?

3. Did most of you do the cable tune or live tune? Wouldn't a cable tune be more truck specific, because he can get the log data from the cables? Is the little bit extra money worth it, or is it about the same as just doing the live tune?

4. Are there any hidden fee's? Or is it just pretty much a flat price no matter what I want done on the tune?

5. Also, I was going to get the airaid jr. intake kit. I don't have exhaust or anything, I was just going to do the tube and filter. Should I do this before, or will it even make that much of a difference?

I guess the major question was what would be the total amount I am looking at including deposits? I want to have everything in order before I sign up. I have some friends that are not members, but may also be interested in doing this. I'm just trying to find out if I will need to by a back up core or not. Thanks for the help, and sorry for making this long to read.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I did a live tune, and in tow haul mode it removes all the tq management completly, and the other stuff. You can notice the difference when you put in tow haul mode and punch it, and when the tow haul mode is off. When I dont have the tow haul mode on its like 80% tq management removed or something like that. I love it, and you wont regret it. Oh yeah I run 91 octane..I dont care how much I pay for it..as long as I get the best out of it.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
1. Live tune cost is $250 ($50 deposit to hold time slot & remaining $200 due at time of tuning). Since yours is new, you should consider getting an additional ECM & TCM so that you can swap it out for warranty work. Those would be an additional cost and need to be sent out prior to your tune.

2. Running 91 octane tune due to my FI set-up. Not sure about tow-haul as this is not applicable for me.

3. Live tune for me. It is the same as a cable tune as both data log your performance. In person is better because changes can be made on the spot during your tuning session.

4. Flat rate for the tune.

Hope this helps, others will chime in on the specifics.

There is a tune session coming up in DFW over Labor Day. You better hurry as it is filling up fast.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163707

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
i had the edge on mine. it was nice but when i got the Blackbear it was a big difference and it all looks factory because there is no module. I got the live tune. Im also tuned for 87. I really like it and am glad i did it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Live tune cost is $250 ($50 deposit to hold time slot & remaining $200 due at time of tuning). Since yours is new, you should consider getting an additional ECM & TCM so that you can swap it out for warranty work. Those would be an additional cost and need to be sent out prior to your tune.

2. Running 91 octane tune due to my FI set-up. Not sure about tow-haul as this is not applicable for me.

3. Live tune for me. It is the same as a cable tune as both data log your performance. In person is better because changes can be made on the spot during your tuning session.

4. Flat rate for the tune.

Hope this helps, others will chime in on the specifics.

There is a tune session coming up in DFW over Labor Day. You better hurry as it is filling up fast.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163707
That is what I was wondering about also. How much would I be looking at for the PCM / ECM (or is that what the core is)? If not, does Justin sell these also, or where would I go to get them?

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
BBP does sell the PCM's (core) & TCM for the truck models they tune. I would PM them & get a price on those modules. Since yours is a GMT900 model, your tranny would be run by the TCM which needs to be tuned. This is included in the pricing so don't worry.

Hopefully, this helps out.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had the edge on mine. it was nice but when i got the Blackbear it was a big difference and it all looks factory because there is no module. I got the live tune. Im also tuned for 87. I really like it and am glad i did it.
I kind of liked the pod mounted on the dash. I thought it looked good.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And of course, the only weekend Justin is coming around anytime soon is the damn weekend I am going to Mexico for a week. That's my luck. How long until we can get Justin back here? How many damn people do I need to try to round up?:hmm:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BBP does sell the PCM's (core) & TCM for the truck models they tune. I would PM them & get a price on those modules. Since yours is a GMT900 model, your tranny would be run by the TCM which needs to be tuned. This is included in the pricing so don't worry.

Hopefully, this helps out.
So I would need to buy both? A PCM (which is what the core is) and a TCM? There was no pricing for a TCM on the webpage.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
10 for an in person tune. Be on the lookout for other dates/locations.

I missed him the first time around back in February. So I did the June dates in San Antonio. If you don't mind the drive, you could make a weekend out of it like I did. When do you leave? Check out the dates/times on the link I posted & perhaps you could get one early & fly out the next day or even later that night.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you can't do the live tune do the scan cable tune. Its like the same but you dont have the instant feeling of the changes that he makes in person. And he will keep making changes by email untill your happy.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Is there still a huge waiting list for the scan cable tune?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
10 for an in person tune. Be on the lookout for other dates/locations.

I missed him the first time around back in February. So I did the June dates in San Antonio. If you don't mind the drive, you could make a weekend out of it like I did. When do you leave? Check out the dates/times on the link I posted & perhaps you could get one early & fly out the next day or even later that night.
Yeah, flights are already booked, to much to change. Only date left was on Sunday, and that is the day we are leaving. Oh well, I'll catch him. When will we know the next time he is coming through, just watch for a post?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts