GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the trans blew up last week and here are the left overs. sorry crappy phone pics......
IMG002012.jpg

IMG00200.jpg

Here is the new 05 4l80 with 34,000 miles. Its got a hd2 transgo and huhges deep pan for cooling.
IMG00199.jpg

IMG00198.jpg

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Good thing I have the bulletproof 4L60E. The E at the end makes all the difference. :crazy:

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
That's not a pan; that's a frickin' wash tub. :insane:

Sucks you had to join the borken 60e club but I'm glad you got that as a replacement.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
ive heard its a big pain in the ass getting a 4L80e to work in place of a 4L60e
not really. just modify your crossmember, switch your flexplate (i think), i think add one additional plug to the wiring harness for the trans, and tune for it. i think that's pretty much it. lots of guys do it.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
i did that before. on the highway driving 75mph 4th gear blew, then 3rd. had to limp off the highway in 1st gear.

when the truck was in park...it would roll. lol

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
not really. just modify your crossmember, switch your flexplate (i think), i think add one additional plug to the wiring harness for the trans, and tune for it. i think that's pretty much it. lots of guys do it.
I know they do, I remember dok saying they're geared retarded low and you lose off the line grunt.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
yeah the first gear on the 80e sucks (although for lownslo and all turbo guys, it's actually good because it loads the turbo more), but second gear really takes off and pulls to like 100mph, depending on your shift points. kinda nice considering the 60e falls on its face after the 2-3.

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It blew shifting into 3rd at 40 mph about 30% throttle. I had third gear and that was it. I made it 15 miles running 65 to the shop and parked it with no first second or od. the reverse was gone too! It lasted longer than expected but i decided to upgrade.
I have the x member finished and being painted, i purchased a vss connector and wire to pin the pcm you have to also change 1 wire on the plug for the trans, then you get a new flexplate, spacer, bolts and thats all! Have the segment swap done by the tuner( in this case Justin at blackbear has gone over and beyond to help me with this).

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope to see a loss of low end just a little. I was spinning the radials all the time and 1st was usless on the street! So maybe it will be stronger and a litlle more fun to drive!
It is my daily driver haha!
Bumpers i know why you are happy..... you got to meet a bunch of new boys when you came to the shop huh haha! :)

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
kevin, i dont know if you know this but if you are hammering on your truck in 3rd then you are going way too fast already 4th is not for racing its for cruising

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kevin, i dont know if you know this but if you are hammering on your truck in 3rd then you are going way too fast already 4th is not for racing its for cruising
noticed you said kevin haha sorry but here is my answer to that haha!(edit)
wait what???? haha no i don't go that fast haha the 1-2 shift is the action shot haha. i have never shifted from 3-4 at wot that would be like 140 or somthing( hell i don't even know i have only been about 120 in the truck so i cant tell ya). But i was no where near hammering on it when it broke i was doing 40 mph shifting into third. Just normal flowing with traffic.......... now there are times that it should have broke but i just don't understand breaking under part throttle easing around haha oh well burn that bitch down and put in another one!

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
if you're running the 1/4 mile you'll be crossing the traps in 3rd gear.

noticed you said kevin haha sorry but here is my answer to that haha!(edit)
wait what???? haha no i don't go that fast haha the 1-2 shift is the action shot haha. i have never shifted from 3-4 at wot that would be like 140 or somthing( hell i don't even know i have only been about 120 in the truck so i cant tell ya). But i was no where near hammering on it when it broke i was doing 40 mph shifting into third. Just normal flowing with traffic.......... now there are times that it should have broke but i just don't understand breaking under part throttle easing around haha oh well burn that bitch down and put in another one!
Tharf was talking to me.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
yeah like he said full throttle the 3-4 shift is in the 100+ mph range and thats just asking for trouble

·
Ballin on a Budget
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
or you could just pull a fast and the furious and shift 8 times at 160 mph and still have some pedal left incase they start catching you! That is what i do all the time i guess the torque of the motor at 160mph when i spin the tires going into 7th gear was too much for the 4l60E

1 - 20 of 33 Posts