GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about building a healthy small block. whats your thought? i have a grand to get the build going but i dont really wanna spend more than 1500. i wanna keep this a budget build.

thinking about...

350-355ci
mild cam
good head work
roller rockers/ and lifters.
headers
maybe a new tb from cfm-tech
and custom tune

its a 5spd truck so no need for a stall and the clutch is a brand new hays.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bought a almost complete 350 4bolt main vortec for 80bux...
sold the heads for 100 and im up 20bux.

goin this week to pick up a 355 4bolt main short block with flat top pistons.

goal for this motor is 350hp to the wheels.

heres the cam i bought, its a comp computer friendly.
Hydraulic Roller, Advertised Duration 290/307, Lift .510/.540.

total build cost is...
+100
------
755 left

still have to buy the short block so that will cost around 500ish plus the machine work on heads, it will be close to the 1000 start up cost, i know i will end up goin over but i wanted to keep the motor,internals and head work around 1000

i still have to take the heads to the machine shop to get screw in studs and a valve job. also getting valve springs to handle up to .550 lift

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
engine is ready got the call today, heads wont be ready till monday...

heres the list of bullshit.
355ci 4bolt...
flat top pistons
crane hi-rev roller lifters
arp head studs
arp main studs
comp 280xfi cam
tall ceramic coated valve covers
8mm plug wires
double roller timing chain
ACdelco plugs
air intake

vortec heads
guide plates
hi lift valve springs
valve job
roller rockers
trick flow hardend push rods
gasket matched

long tube headers
true dual exhaust
one chamber flows

hays super truck clutch

now for the pics... i will have alot more when i pic the engine and heads up from the machine shop and start the install.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think you would need a better heads, cam, and intake setup to get 350 hp to the wheels. Should still be a damn nice setup though.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you would need a better heads, cam, and intake setup to get 350 hp to the wheels. Should still be a damn nice setup though.
the 350hp mark is after i build a mpfi intake for it. ive talked to a few tuners and read quite i bit on that cam, and with lightly ported heads on a lt1 it will hit the 350mark so thats what im basing my numbers off of.

i would be happy with 300 to be honest with you.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
on a different note i took my valve covers to PC'd, the color is called candy copper and i should have my long tubes back soon, i got the ceramic coated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You should be able to hit 300 rwhp fairly easy with the setup you got going. Might be able to dip in the 13's in the 1/4 if your good at bangin gears in that 5 speed

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i should be getting my headers back pretty soon, i dropped them off to get ceramic coated and i also dropped off my valve covers to get the ceramic coat covered in transparent copper candy, should look pretty pimp. im also goin to get my fuel rails and some other small stuff done in the same color when i build my mpfi intake.

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
how come i was not informed about this shit??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why main studs and head studs before rod bolts or new rods?

You got 4 bolt mains, you dont need studs unless your goin for like 500hp+ and 7000+ rpm and Ive only seen the use of head studs for big boost or LARGE amounts of nitrous.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
thats gonna be sweet

1 - 20 of 29 Posts