GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a virgin to forums and I hope I am in the right spot. I have a 99.5 silverado and I wired my DRLs in to the positive and negative of the running lights to have all on at the same time. My sensor for the DRLs is bad and the tint on my windshield won't let it work any way. But here's the problem. My blinkers don't work now withe the engine running. If the engine is off then they will work with the key turned on. I'm lost now. I changed the flasher and it didn't work. Someone told me the BCM but they work. It's just when the engine is running they won't. Please help. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Hi I am a virgin to forums and I hope I am in the right spot. I have a 99.5 silverado and I wired my DRLs in to the positive and negative of the running lights to have all on at the same time. My sensor for the DRLs is bad and the tint on my windshield won't let it work any way. But here's the problem. My blinkers don't work now withe the engine running. If the engine is off then they will work with the key turned on. I'm lost now. I changed the flasher and it didn't work. Someone told me the BCM but they work. It's just when the engine is running they won't. Please help. Thank you!
When you say engine on, do you mean specifically engine on or is there a different result with ignition on and not running? Is your DRL sensor disconnected?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ignition turned all the way with out starting the engine they work. Once I start the engine they go off. My sensor is hooked up but it's bad. Hasn't worked since we bought the truck. Now I did hook my DRLs up to my running light (light directly next to it). I tried hooking it back up stock but still didn't work right. I'm just lost. My mechanic is lost he wants to tear in to it but I'm trying to figure it out. I know I caused it but I just need to learn to fix it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
My ignition turned all the way with out starting the engine they work. Once I start the engine they go off. My sensor is hooked up but it's bad. Hasn't worked since we bought the truck. Now I did hook my DRLs up to my running light (light directly next to it). I tried hooking it back up stock but still didn't work right. I'm just lost. My mechanic is lost he wants to tear in to it but I'm trying to figure it out. I know I caused it but I just need to learn to fix it. Thanks!
So am I lead to believe you didn't disconnect them from the DRL circuit at all, just tapped into it? If so, cut the wires loose from the DRL circuit and wire directly how you are wanting to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested that theory by pulling my DRL fuse and relay and they still didn't work. I cut the DRL bulb from the harness and taped them off. I connected the wires to the running lights. This is just so annoying. Thanks for the help. I hope you have a mother idea for me to test! Once again thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have led/hid everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LEDs are all correct and working and I never tapped in to the hid ballast. I tapped in the the light right next to drls

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
LEDs are all correct and working and I never tapped in to the hid ballast. I tapped in the the light right next to drls
Do you have resistors on the LED's or anything like that? That very well could be the problem.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
From what I've read about people doing the DRL to parking light swap, they've all used a new socket. Did you do that? Maybe that could be the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the regular socket

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Pretty sure you have to swap in a turn signal socket. Not sure what the difference is though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you elaborate please

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
I'll see if I can find a write up on it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts