GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was bout to leave my house friday night, when the truck wouldn't start. it would turn over but would not start. the security light flashing when attempting to start. we hop in my gf car and leave. later when i get back home i turn the key on so i can push the truck in my garage, i notice that the security light is not flashing anymore with the key on. i try to start the truck and it starts fine. the next morning it starts up fine. i run all over town doing this and that. i wash the truck pull it in the garage to avoid a rainstorm. come out to the truck a few hours later and it wouldn't start again. its now sunday morning and i haven't attempted to start the truck. my guess is that it will start. i have searched on here and have found that people are having problems with the passlock sensor, but they seem to say that the security light remains on and not flashing. by the way its a 05 crew cab that i bought a week ago:flame:

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
If you turn the key on wait 10 minutes the security light will go off and you can start your vehicle.....Grand ams are notorious for this problem...You will have to have a dealership look at it and possibly change out the defective security system

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup, sure do. It happened to me and took some time to figure out. Won't start for about 15 minutes if I remember correctly.

It has nothing to do with the sensor or the lock cylinder or key. There apears to be a "shortining of the wires" from use of the tilt wheel.

There is a TSB that you can obtain from a dealership. It is rather long and convoluted but in essence, there is a problem with the connections at the base of the steering column and they need to be removed, cleaned and replugged. I think, given that GM - in the TSB repair section - says to unplug and replug something like ten times, while tilting the wheel up and down.

I wish I had saved the TSB but the dealership should be able to help you with that.

The good news is no parts are needed and it's a pretty simple repair, did mine about 2 years ago and neverhad another problem. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter.

Good luck,

Jon

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, sure do. It happened to me and took some time to figure out. Won't start for about 15 minutes if I remember correctly.

It has nothing to do with the sensor or the lock cylinder or key. There apears to be a "shortining of the wires" from use of the tilt wheel.

There is a TSB that you can obtain from a dealership. It is rather long and convoluted but in essence, there is a problem with the connections at the base of the steering column and they need to be removed, cleaned and replugged. I think, given that GM - in the TSB repair section - says to unplug and replug something like ten times, while tilting the wheel up and down.

I wish I had saved the TSB but the dealership should be able to help you with that.

The good news is no parts are needed and it's a pretty simple repair, did mine about 2 years ago and neverhad another problem. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter.

Good luck,

Jon
now that i recall on both occasions i had tilted the steering colmn:hmm:

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I should have more specifically asked if you have an aftermarket remote starter. I can't remember what year GM started offering them OEM.

If it's an aftermarket remote starter, I would start there. It has a security bypass module that may be malfunctioning or its connection may be flaky.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have, or have you ever had, a remote starter?

Are you sure that's not "shorting", as in "short circuit"?
Nope, even though I spelled it wrong it's not a short. The wires ride up th column and tug on the connector at the base of the column.

I was at the dealer to buy a new lock cylinder and the parts manager printed out the TSB, about 7 pages. Worked perfectly and never happened again. Same symptoms as his.

Jon

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have more specifically asked if you have an aftermarket remote starter. I can't remember what year GM started offering them OEM.

If it's an aftermarket remote starter, I would start there. It has a security bypass module that may be malfunctioning or its connection may be flaky.
it has a viper security system on it with remote start.i have never used the remote start i dont even have the remote for it. i havent had a problem with it until this morning. i just tried it a few minutes ago still no start blinking security light

·
Registered
346 Posts
not to thread jack but my nnbs does has done this numberous times since i got my viper n smart start put in, drives me fukin nuts... the bypass has been changed twice and it still does it once and a while, what should i be checking? im pretty good with wireing i just would like advice on where to start.... sorry i didnt want to start another thread for the same question, we have enough of those around here..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I keep a key from another Silverado in my console. When mine does it I try to use the wrong key and then the real one. It fires right up every time doing that.

Mine didnt start doing the "Security" crap until I changed my ECM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts