GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to put together a build thread for all the parts I'm piecing together over the winter, and I'll probably keep it going throughout the life of the truck. Should be fun, and hopefully some other people get something out of it too.

Not really sure how I'll organize this thread, I'm thinking of listing all the parts and part numbers, take a bunch of pics and see where it goes.

I'll start off with some background on the truck:

2007 GMT900 crew cab 4x4
4L60E
3.73:1 gears

Engine
K&N Aircharger Kit 63-3058
90mm LS3 Throttle body 12605109

Exhaust
Gibson 3" SI/DO cat-back 65628

Transmission
Vette Servo
Circle D 3200 278mm torque converter

Suspension
GroundForce 2/3 drop

Body
Painted bumper bar
GM colourmatched grille
Painted front bowtie
Debadged
De-molded
20% Solar Guard tint on front two windows

Lighting
LED interior dome lights (Recon 3x4 arrays)
6000K HID lows and fogs
Relay harness
V-LEDS 6000K 92-LED switchback front turn signals
Recon smoked tail lights
V-LEDS 5000K 92-LED reverse lights
licence plate lights (Recon 194)

Here are some semi-recent pics:

In my next posts I'll explain the plans I've got for it and the parts I've bought and still need to buy :secret:

Thanks for following!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The plan of attack for the spring is mostly engine work and some supporting hardware. I'll go into more detail about all the parts involved a bit later, but here are the goals I have in mind for this summer:

Engine
TVS1900
Blower cam and AFM delete
Tune

Exhaust
American Racing 1 7/8" long tube headers and catted y-pipe

Rear end
Detroit Truetrac

Suspension
Rear sway bar - Either DJM or Hellwig, not really a top priority for this summer
New rear shocks - Maybe belltech, again, not a priority

I'll post some pics and part numbers later when I get home.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts List

I'm going to keep this post to update the parts I've bought, or if I decide to change things, I'll use this as the master parts list.

I originally thought I was going to be building a N/A combo, so I started buying parts about a year ago for that goal in mind, then just recently I got lucky at work getting a few good contracts, then all of a sudden a blower combo sounded very attainable. So if you look through my parts list and think, "WTF, that's a terrible choice for a blower combo", I probably agree with you and all the parts I highlighted in blue are those I haven't yet purchased and are going into my blower build.

Valvetrain/DOD Delete
Part MFR. P/N
LS7 lifters GM 12499225
Lifter trays GM 12595365
GM valley cover GM 12570471
LS2 3-bolt Camshaft gear GM 12586481
LS2 Timing dampener (wedge) GM 12588670
Beehive valvesprings PAC 1518 - to be replaced by:
Dual valvesprings Patriot Dual Xtreme .660" - BOUGHT
Hi-Tech pushrods 7.35 Comp 7950-16
Hi-Tech pushrods 7.425 - Might need new pushrods, need to measure to be sure - BOUGHT
Lightweight tool steel retainers Comp CCA-1772-16
Valve locks Comp CCA-623-16
1.250 Spring Shim Kit Comp CCA-4753
1.7:1 Rocker Arms GM 10214664
Trunion bearing upgrade Comp 13702-KIT

Cam
Part MFR. P/N
EPS LS N/A Cam - to be replaced by:
EPS LS Blower Cam - BOUGHT

Gaskets
Part MFR. P/N
O-ring seal for LS Oil pump
pick-up tube (red) GM 12584922
MLS Head gaskets GM 12589226 - to be replaced by:
LS9 Head gaskets GM 12622033 - BOUGHT
Exhaust manifold gaskets GM 12617944
Engine Front Cover Gasket GM 12574294
Water Pump Gastket GM 12588372
Front Oil Seal GM 12585673

Bolts/fasteners
Part MFR. P/N
Cam retainer bolt kit ARP 134-1002
Camshaft gear bolt kit ARP 134-1003
Cylinder head bolts ARP 134-3610 - to be replaced by:
Cylinder head studs ARP 234-4317 - BOUGHT
Harmonic Balancer bolts ARP 234-2503
Head bolt thread chaser ARP 912-0011 - BOUGHT
Split Lock Friction Lock Header Bolts Percy's PHP20008 - BOUGHT

Electrical
Part MFR. P/N
NGK BR7EF Spark plugs - BOUGHT
MTI Racing spark plug wires - BOUGHT

Fuel system
Part MFR. P/N
Not sure yet, going to do some thinking

Misc
Part MFR. P/N
Rev Xtreme Catch Can RX LS6NA
Trick Perf water reservoir - ORDERED
Livernois CNC LS Rocker stand
Kurt Urban LS cooling system

Intake
Part MFR. P/N
Lingenfelter 100mm MAF - BOUGHT
4" straight silicone coupler
4" hump silicone coupler

Exhaust
Part MFR. P/N
1 7/8" headers + 3 1/2" catted Y ARH GMT0778W/C - BOUGHT
3.5" extension pipe GM or Gibson - BOUGHT
3.5" muffler Magnaflow 14161 or Borla 40086 - BOUGHT
Band Clamps - BOUGHT
Ceramic coating on all exhaust parts - CeramaKrome from RLD Industries (local shop)

Driveline
Part MFR. P/N
FLT 4L60E (level 6 maybe) or Performabuilt lvl 2 or 3
Circle D Pro III 258mm 2B stall speed

Rear end
Part MFR. P/N
Truetrac - BOUGHT
Mag-Hytec 10-85 Cover - BOUGHT
ARP ring gear bolts 230-3001 - BOUGHT
Main cap studs - Either Moser's kit MSR-7115 or T/A's kit TA-1815 - BOUGHT

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sub'd..... and i will really wanna see this thing done.... also i'll offer up my assistance turning wrenches, if you need any help shoot me a msg.
Thanks buddy, appreciate it.

should move good...:shake:
I'm hoping so! Should be a lot more fun to drive around the streets too. :burnout:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You have a cam on your truck right now?

·
MILF lover
4,086 Posts
should be sweet. you should give Pat G a call to spec you out a cam. i can get his info, its over on pt.net. but regardless its gona be a nice setup. you gona get a built trans or swap in a 4l80E?

personally i wouldnt bullshit around, just put a 2.8 pulley on that blower and run it.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a cam on your truck right now?
No. I bought a cam and all of the parts to install last spring, had a few setbacks trying to get long tubes before tearing everything down, then all of sudden snow started falling. Couple months ago said screw it, going FI while I can afford it.

I haz push rods fer sale :read:
What size? If I can afford the downtime, I'll just measure when everything's apart, or I'll buy a few different sizes and return whatever I don't use...problem being in canada is that orders that take 2-3 days for you guys can take up to 2 weeks to get up here.

should be sweet. you should give Pat G a call to spec you out a cam. i can get his info, its over on pt.net. but regardless its gona be a nice setup. you gona get a built trans or swap in a 4l80E?

personally i wouldnt bullshit around, just put a 2.8 pulley on that blower and run it.
I'm gonna talk with Geoff and see what he thinks. I have a pretty good idea what I want in a cam anyways.

I haven't decided what to do with the trans yet. Gonna do some thinking on that one too, but I'm open to suggestions. I know 4L80E would be the best choice, but it's big money, I think longer than the 4L60E and needs a new crossmember. So I may just see what FLT or PB offer in an upgraded 4L60E.

I'm getting a pulley .2" smaller than whatever comes standard on the tvs truck kits, whatever that is, 3.7"? So I'll see where I'm at with the 3.5" and go from there. A 2.8 seems like way too much for the stock short block. Ideally, 6# for everyday driving in the summer, and another pulley for 8# when I'm feeling too fast and furious is about all I'm willing to throw at cast pistons and rods. I might even pulley up higher in the winter, not sure how near zero temps play into boost levels.

·
MILF lover
4,086 Posts
check over on pt.net, they have a couple builds ive seen with people swapping in a 4l80e/shift kit. it is a couple inches longer i believe but it would be a good choice in getting a new driveshaft anyway. i know the user "smokeshow" did it to his if you look it up. you could always get a built 60e with billet inners from companies like FLT/performancebuilt, they are sponsors on pt.net. a 2.8 tvs1900 i think nets around 10-12lbs boost, user "Atomic" here as well as pt.net has had that setup before, Rich is a smart dude. id say you would be good with a 3.2 pulley if the calculations for boost work out to around 8. just do some reading up on pt.net, lots of guys have done swaps. its made me want to do one but id rather run a KB turbo kit myself to save a few bucks.

i keep refering to that site with a lot of info lol. not shitting on GMFS because there is info here too, it just seems more redundant on pt.net.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
check over on pt.net, they have a couple builds ive seen with people swapping in a 4l80e/shift kit. it is a couple inches longer i believe but it would be a good choice in getting a new driveshaft anyway. i know the user "smokeshow" did it to his if you look it up. you could always get a built 60e with billet inners from companies like FLT/performancebuilt, they are sponsors on pt.net. a 2.8 tvs1900 i think nets around 10-12lbs boost, user "Atomic" here as well as pt.net has had that setup before, Rich is a smart dude. id say you would be good with a 3.2 pulley if the calculations for boost work out to around 8. just do some reading up on pt.net, lots of guys have done swaps. its made me want to do one but id rather run a KB turbo kit myself to save a few bucks.

i keep refering to that site with a lot of info lol. not shitting on GMFS because there is info here too, it just seems more redundant on pt.net.
Ya I'm on pt.net too, actually have this same build thread going on over there, under username Preston129. I sent smokeshow a message the other day actually.

I'm really leaning towards the FLT level-4 4L60E, but I'll weigh my options after I speak with em. There's nothing too radical about my setup, final numbers will come out under 600hp and tq (flywheel) and I usually don't abuse my truck from a dig so I'm hoping that trans is up to it, cause it fits in my budget and be easy to change.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing really new to report, thought I might have heard about the maggie on friday, but I guess it'll ship out this week.

Here's a couple more pics of some parts just to keep you guys interested:

90mm LS3 throttle body compared to stock 87mm:

Front

Back

GM rockers with Comp trunion-bearing upgrade and ARP bolt:

·
MILF lover
4,086 Posts
great news!

i have been toying with the idea if i ever get the funds to t/c it, but as it being my DD i cant have it down and since i have no hands on knowledge with that in depth of a project, i might look around for a used maggie/roush tvs1900 to bolt on until i want more POWA.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great news!

i have been toying with the idea if i ever get the funds to t/c it, but as it being my DD i cant have it down and since i have no hands on knowledge with that in depth of a project, i might look around for a used maggie/roush tvs1900 to bolt on until i want more POWA.
A turbo setup was VERY interesting to me for a while, and even though the FM kits that are out there like tricks or nelsons definitely help, I know there'd still be a lot of fabrication work involved, and my current living arrangements don't allow for the kind of workmanship I'd like, so I'd be paying someone else to weld, so I figured the costs could get out of control quickly.

The nice thing about the 1900 is it's a stepping stone kind of part. As soon as guys max them out (and it seems kinda easy to do, if you're going balls out with the combination) then it's one of the first things guys will change out for a bigger case. And the roush one is a steal if you can still find them. Forget who it was, but someone on pt.net said it best about them, something like "Machining the snout on them [so they can accept smaller pulleys] is like $750, then you end up with basically the same as the maggie, just at half the cost."

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, just bought the 1 7/8" ARH headers and catted Y-pipe, and I figured out what I'm gonna do about the exhaust too. I'm getting them to fab up a 3.5" y-pipe connection, then I'm going to try to source a 3.5" extension pipe from a 6.2L truck (I think the p/n is 25811709, but I'm gonna check that out tomorrow or on the weekend). Finally, I'm going to put a 3.5 magnaflow muffler (p/n 14161) dumped before the axle, with either a turndown or just exiting out of the muffler, I'll decide on that later.

*EDIT: Now I'm not too confident that GM part number is correct, so this weekend some time I'm gonna do a VIN lookup on a truck with a 6.2 and see if I can get just an extension pipe. It's been so long since I've had the factory exhaust on, can anyone tell me if on the new 6.2s, does the exhaust come apart anywhere before the muffler? or is it one solid piece from the cat back?

1 - 20 of 560 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.