GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Masshole Pilot
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace a brake line for someone who has never done it before?

M

·
0 Posts
Easy stuff. You'll likely spend more time bleeding the system than changing the line. What line popped?

·
Masshole Pilot
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the forward lines running to the ABS controller from the master cylinder. Looks like its running along the frame.

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
haha im doing one right now. goes from the LF to the ABS module. im doing it laying on the ground in my driveway, so its much different then if u have a lift. however, i spent a good hour trying to unclip it from all the plastic pieces. some are really easy. the others were a bitch to get to, and u can barely see them. unfortunately the one im taking off is the inner bottom one on this plastic clamp, so they all have to move out of the way to get this one free. then when i get to the ABS module, u cant get a wrench on it unless u take the cab off, or have a tiny ass wrench. i thought about cutting one down about 3" but then i called the dealership and found out they dont make pre-bent lines. theres no way i was going to be able to make all those bends like the factory so i said fuck it. cut the line in a good area, im hunched over in this tiny wheel well all day for hours trying to flare the line without it cracking. turns out the tool my father has wont work, so i go buy a double flaring tool at advance auto for $30. first time i go to use it, all the threads strip. so im going to pick up a new one tomorrow at work off a technician. to top it off, the first line i bought kinked because of all the hard bends the line takes. it goes up from the hose, 90* towards the frame, then 90* down the frame rail. im going to make a nice swoop with it because im not going to be able to mimic the exact shape. its a small job. easier said then done. its an absolute bitch if everything doesnt go right.

M

·
0 Posts
Did it basically just rust through or what? Chase down your other lines and consider replacing some of them if they look bad.

·
Masshole Pilot
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are all rusted pretty bad, I am gonna replace the two line running from the master cylinder back for now just to get it back on the road.

·
Masshole Pilot
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha im doing one right now. goes from the LF to the ABS module. im doing it laying on the ground in my driveway, so its much different then if u have a lift. however, i spent a good hour trying to unclip it from all the plastic pieces. some are really easy. the others were a bitch to get to, and u can barely see them. unfortunately the one im taking off is the inner bottom one on this plastic clamp, so they all have to move out of the way to get this one free. then when i get to the ABS module, u cant get a wrench on it unless u take the cab off, or have a tiny ass wrench. i thought about cutting one down about 3" but then i called the dealership and found out they dont make pre-bent lines. theres no way i was going to be able to make all those bends like the factory so i said fuck it. cut the line in a good area, im hunched over in this tiny wheel well all day for hours trying to flare the line without it cracking. turns out the tool my father has wont work, so i go buy a double flaring tool at advance auto for $30. first time i go to use it, all the threads strip. so im going to pick up a new one tomorrow at work off a technician. to top it off, the first line i bought kinked because of all the hard bends the line takes. it goes up from the hose, 90* towards the frame, then 90* down the frame rail. im going to make a nice swoop with it because im not going to be able to mimic the exact shape. its a small job. easier said then done. its an absolute bitch if everything doesnt go right.

I was wondering about getting the line off that ABS controller looks pretty tight up there.

The lines I picked up today had the fittings and flares all ready done.

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
I was wondering about getting the line off that ABS controller looks pretty tight up there.

The lines I picked up today had the fittings and flares all ready done.
yeah but if the lines u bought are too short, or way too long, u have to cut the end and reflare it. then union it to the old line, or another new line. its a bitch haha

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did this on my '99 last year...ended up replacing all lines from the ABS to the Master cylinder with stainless steel lines so I won't have to do it again. I was able to get the the nuts on the ABS unit with a stuby wrench and some tedious work. Dealership doesn't carry pre bent lines and I think I only found 1 place that would make them but it was like a 4 week lead-time. It was a pain in the ass but everything seems to be ok now.

·
Masshole Pilot
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah but if the lines u bought are too short, or way too long, u have to cut the end and reflare it. then union it to the old line, or another new line. its a bitch haha
Turns out they had the wrong fittings anyways. Blarg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts