GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys. I have a 2007 Silverado 4x with a Ready Lift 2 1/4 leveling kit on it. The drivers side cv boot blew out about 6k miles after the kit was installed. The truck has had about 70k on it before the kit went on. So I just noticed that the boot blew out once again, the passenger side has been OK.

The kit was installed by a pro mechanic, albeit not a 4x4 expert but the kits aren't rocket science anyway and yes the front end was aligned properly after installation.

Question, I was told that I need axle spacers. If that is true, what kind/brand should I go after?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance!

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you mentioned it being cranked, I had a 2000 sierra that was cranked and I thought that was the coolest thing lol. Horrible front end handling if cranked too high which I did.

I don't have a classic now, its NNBS. Angles aren't bad actually. Its real close to stock angle.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Not to hi-jack your forum or anything, but why would you not crank a 07classic?? is it the same as all nbs? (silvy, Tahoe, 'burban, gmc)
What?

Funny you mentioned it being cranked, I had a 2000 sierra that was cranked and I thought that was the coolest thing lol. Horrible front end handling if cranked too high which I did.

I don't have a classic now, its NNBS. Angles aren't bad actually. Its real close to stock angle.
You have something wrong if you are ripping boots with a 2.25 level every 6k miles. Without pics I can't tell much

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get some pics tomorrow. I wanna get this resolved asap.

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what my mechanic buddy suggested, again his expertise isn't lifts/kits but he is competent. I am here to source the vast brain pan of experts here so I/we are open to solutions.

·
Registered
900 Posts
His sig says ltz so I assume nnbs

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics...
92d901da-c25c-4ce2-883d-23b43f15b719_zpsae146da1.jpg

IMG_25921_zpsd34a67cb.jpg

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Angles look fine.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
yeah those angles don't look bad at all.

just pick up some axles from a reputable parts shot that has a decent warranty so you can replace as needed. my guess is just bad luck or it could be getting caught on something like the brake like and ripping.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Is your diff centered in the mounts? There's about 3/4" of play in them so if it's to one side or the other it may be causing your issues. If not then it may be cheap cvs

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The axles are new by the way, or at least they have about 3-4000 on them.

Will check diff alignment.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's odd that your problem is with the outer boot. Usually the inner has more problems. I don't think angles is the problem. I'd look more for something rubbing or I noticed rust so I would also check the condition of the boot material. Does it appear to be rotting prematurely? The de-icer on the roads where I live shortened the life of my boots before, but not to a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have had good luck with ToughOne from Advanced. Lifetime warranty as well.

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea maybe boot was stretched a little when installed. Will check out the tough one at advanced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts