GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear axle litterally blew up tonight, the rear cover busted threw. I can push it in park, which isnt good, i hope it didnt take my transmission or transfer case with it, somthings makin noise

·
Dude on Internet
758 Posts
if you can push it in park, things aint lookin too good

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
well damn bubba you left that little detail out when you called me

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If the ring gear or posi unit busted enough and isn't making contact with the pinion or axles you'll be able to roll it wherever you want because the driveshaft isn't in contact with the axles at all.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
that suck sorry man

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
haha bubba i just got rid of my g80 for cheap too. well now you gotta rebuild it. So gear it to 4.56, BL and 36's. Cajuns 36's that is

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok today i messed with it a little while, I put it in 4 and it moves but the rear driveshaft wont spin. If i fucked up the t case imma prolly buy cajuns and the axle i will prolly do 4.56 and true trac and save up for a body lift and 35 ssr

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
If it moves in 4x4 your trans is prolly okay. but the case is prolly pooped.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1600 for yukon 4.56s and a true trac from cajun offroad, 1024 for just the rear, idk what imma do yet

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Bryan @ cajun is a knowlegable guy. He will completely rebuild your rea axle too. new wheel bearings and seals along with master install kit for gears. same with the front. His policy is if a vehicle has more than 20k mile he changes rear wheel bearings.

·
4,725 Posts
Sucks man. I have a NBS 10 bolt if you want it for rebuilding just give me a call. It would need disc brake parts, otherwise in great shape. Do you need to replace it immediately? ...might be able to throw my rear end in yours.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea marcus, I know the guy that works at Cajun, Brett Firman, 1600 is installed with yukon 4.56s and true trac, Law thanks for the offer, i am just going to drive my dads tahoe untill i get mine fixed. I didnt get a chance to check out my transfer case yet. I think the 2wd might be blow in it. I just got done pulling the rear diff apart. the g80 was in pieces and there was nothing left to the clutch plates, the ring and pinion gear is chipped up pretty bad. might go ahead and change the axle shafts also. my dad said it prolly wouldnt hurt. How do yall think my gas milage would be with 4.56 and 33s. I cant afford bigger tires right now or a body lift. but its gunna burn a hole in my ass to get say 4.10s and have to stick with 33s

·
bitter southern gun owner
1,142 Posts
R.I.P. da hoe

id say regear it with 4:56 front and rear and do ur body lift and 35's and just wait for the fall to come and do your susp

but with you needing to get it back on the road asap idk

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
my 35's were 32.75" tall and i spun 2300 at 70 with 4.56's. so i guess you measure a hair over 31" so youll spin a good bit. but till you get tires youll get about the same. i did at least and had power that i never had. @wd has to work in the case for 4x4 to work to IIRC. hard to say w/o pics

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
ok so with the ring gear gone you have no choice but to regear, id go 4.56, for the shear fact that you will regret goin 4.10 later your milage wont suffer that much if any at all, marcus had 4.56 and 32.x" true hight brutes and his mileage didnt change iirc. i also wouldnt buy new shafts, thats just money you dont need to be spending at this point in time, im behind on my 1/2 ton gear/locker costs but marcus bought the same setup, im just not sure what he paid for it all, although 1600 sounds a lil steep, if it did mess something up i hope its the tcase and not the trans for obvious cost reasons and if you end up needing my tcase just let me know

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
my prices from re gearing
$877 4.56 gears, bearings and tru trac
$500 labor (local mechanic)
$60 ish rear wheel bearings and seals
$150 for a tune from Wait for me
$1527 total. dont quote me on rear wheel bearings but other stuff is accurate and decently priced if you ask me.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well guys i am in a hard choice right now. my dad said he would pay for my rear end since i am still in college, bad part is he said he thinks i should go back with stock so i will have 4wd. I cant afford to gear the front and he wont pay for it. so idk what i should do. my plans were in the future to put 4.88s with 38s on it. i think thats shot down the drain unless i re-gear. so what I am thinking is i can pay 1k for the rear end with the 3.42s and have a good carrier or i can get 4.56 and just be 2wd for prolly untill i finish school which would be in the fall. Idk how hard it would be not to have 4wd. I have always had it

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
if you plan on going with bigger tires pick up a 14bsf,alot cheaper than rebuilding the 10 bolt,and should bolt right in

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
well guys i am in a hard choice right now. my dad said he would pay for my rear end since i am still in college, bad part is he said he thinks i should go back with stock so i will have 4wd. I cant afford to gear the front and he wont pay for it. so idk what i should do. my plans were in the future to put 4.88s with 38s on it. i think thats shot down the drain unless i re-gear. so what I am thinking is i can pay 1k for the rear end with the 3.42s and have a good carrier or i can get 4.56 and just be 2wd for prolly untill i finish school which would be in the fall. Idk how hard it would be not to have 4wd. I have always had it
so is your tranfer case screwed? Just gear the rear and wait a few months and save up to gear the front

1 - 20 of 41 Posts