1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bluetooth Hands Free Using OnStar interface **Now Installed

http://www.costartech.com/

OnStar => Bluetooth conversion for use with Motorola HF850 car kit

This is being discussed over on Denali Trucks forum and thought I'd share.

Pretty cool if you ask me. I think most people ditch the OnStar subscription anyway, so losing its functionality is probably not an issue.

So basically you get Bluetooth handsfree car kit using the OnStar microphone and system to carry on a conversation.

I may give this a spin...

EDIT*****
So, I bought this for my wife's 'Nali as she's always bitching about her BT earpiece. Install was fairly simple, the the space is REALLY tight.

Here's what it looks like after it's assembled (the HF850 & the circuit board don't come put together).
20090522_0636.jpg

20090522_0637.jpg

The VCIM is below and behind the Climate controls.
20090522_0638.jpg

The silver box you see:
20090522_0639.jpg

If you're looking at it the same as the picture, on the back right side there are 2 connectors that you disconnect from the silver box and plug into the CoStar unit.
The silver box is held in with 2 clips that I had to release and move the box towards yourself in order to fit my fat hands to unplug these connectors. Then just slid the box back into it's original location.
I dropped the 2 connectors straight down, then removed the side panel on the center console and plugged in the CoStar unit. I mounted it right here.
20090522_0640.jpg

20090522_0641.jpg

20090522_0642-1.jpg

Ok, some initial thoughts after only messing with it in the driveway.

1. My wife's iPhone is querky with it. The Onstar buttons sometimes work and sometimes don't. It seems if you just use it as an external BT device it works fine, but we're still playing with it. SQ is GREAT and the people on the other end say it sounds great on the other end.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,528 Posts
Comes with all the new 09 onstars I believe
I know it came with mine.
I can link my cellphone's bluetooth with the onstar and dial/talk using it.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comes with all the new 09 onstars I believe
I know it came with mine.
I can link my cellphone's bluetooth with the onstar and dial/talk using it.
The '09's have them from the factory. This is not a factory setup and you'll lose OnSTAR functionality.

I ordered one yesterday and will be putting it in my wife's Denali.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Nice! :head: My wife's iphone doesn't work 100% correct with the D3/BTB-200 as well, must have something to do with the iphone :shrug:

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! :head: My wife's iphone doesn't work 100% correct with the D3/BTB-200 as well, must have something to do with the iphone :shrug:
Everything I've read says the the iPhone update to version V3 is supposed to fix most issues though. I guess we'll see how that works out if V3 actually comes out.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp, it's coming out of the 'Nali and going in my truck. My wife can't stand the issues the iPhone is creating...

Guess I'll finally add the steering wheel controls while I'm in there too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts