GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so we have been having some issues with our team boat here at school (waterski team). Boat is a 2005 Mastercraft prostar 197 tournament team edition with the MCX 350 HP engine (L31 vortec based) and the fly by wire throttle control. lately we have been getting a check engine light and then the throttle response goes to zero, have no throttle at all just idle and we have to turn the boat off, let it sit for a minute, restart it and put it in gear fast to be able to get back to the dock. we had the codes scanned and they are getting back to us tomorrow cause it popped a few codes the dealer had never seen before. however, it also has this issue of revving up to high right when you put it in gear, and it engages really rough, so we checked the trans fluid and it looked damn near like burnt 10W30 mixed with brake fluid, and smelled somewhat like that would too i imagine. it had a very very rubbery smell to it, looked NOTHING like ATF, no trace of pink anywhere, etc. this was friday night so we changed the fluid, though wow, wtf, took the boat back out this past saturday to check everything out, same problems after a little while. then talked to one of our team mates that had the boat out on thursday, he said when he checked the trans fluid thurs, it was still pink.

could we really have burnt up the trans fluid THAT bad to not even resemble ATF in the slightest in just maybe 2-3 hours of run time tops between thursday afternoon and friday afternoon? wouldnt the trans be so fucked it would be almost undriveable at that point?

any ideas? i have a feeling we are in for an expensive fix here soon

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Out of the water, but some muffs on the water intake and see how fast it heats up. It will be faster and higher than in the water, but not extreme. If it spikes, might have to pull the lower unit of and work your way up. That is pretty extreme for for ATF. Sure someone didn't add something or change something incorrectly? I guess you guys don't have to winterize in Cali, so it's probably harder to happen, but it happens over the winter here.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Out of the water, but some muffs on the water intake and see how fast it heats up. It will be faster and higher than in the water, but not extreme. If it spikes, might have to pull the lower unit of and work your way up. That is pretty extreme for for ATF. Sure someone didn't add something or change something incorrectly? I guess you guys don't have to winterize in Cali, so it's probably harder to happen, but it happens over the winter here.
It's a straight shaft outdrive....not a mercruiser style inboard/outboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts