GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GMFS Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I followed the sticky on "How to channel your truck" and I have to say, it worked perfect and was spot on, shout to to kdubaz for the write-up, it went smooth as a baby's butt! But, of course I have a question.

Long story short, the body drop is done and the truck is on the ground with Ekstensive suspension under it, and I have a complete roller now. I'm about to get the rest of my 5.3L put together and bolt it up to my 4l80e and get ready to set it in the truck.

Now my question- what is everyone doing for exhaust as far as headers/manifolds are concerned? The 5.3 is a rebuilt stock bottom end, smoothed intake/exhaust port 862 heads with Lunati springs, TSP220/220 cam, LS6 intake manifold...

Has anyone found a mid-length header that will fit in between the frame and block comfortably without hitting the bottom of the firewall? Or am I forced to have to run a shorty header? Trying to avoid an 800$ set of custom headers.

Thanks in advance!

·
I likez Suspensionz
4,833 Posts
Hey guys, I followed the sticky on "How to channel your truck" and I have to say, it worked perfect and was spot on, shout to to kdubaz for the write-up, it went smooth as a baby's butt! But, of course I have a question.

Long story short, the body drop is done and the truck is on the ground with Ekstensive suspension under it, and I have a complete roller now. I'm about to get the rest of my 5.3L put together and bolt it up to my 4l80e and get ready to set it in the truck.

Now my question- what is everyone doing for exhaust as far as headers/manifolds are concerned? The 5.3 is a rebuilt stock bottom end, smoothed intake/exhaust port 862 heads with Lunati springs, TSP220/220 cam, LS6 intake manifold...

Has anyone found a mid-length header that will fit in between the frame and block comfortably without hitting the bottom of the firewall? Or am I forced to have to run a shorty header? Trying to avoid an 800$ set of custom headers.

Thanks in advance!
the part that hit the cab is not the manifolds, it's the Y-pipe where it curves under the cab. so shorty headers will not fix the issue without a new y-pipe.

Most people just section the cab floor for whatever headers you run. If you have already channeled the truck, then this shouldn't be anything you can't do. As long as the motor mounts haven't been adjusted, then you can run full longtubes and not hang below the frame.

·
GMFS Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longtubes don't fit, I already have a custom made y-pipe that's flawless, and that wasn't the issue. The top of the collector on the headers are hitting the bottom of the cab and don't come close to bolting up to the heads. That would suggest that I would have to channel the cab all the way through to run exhaust pipes through, and that's not the route I want to go.. The engine mounts are in the factory location, and the trans crossmember isn't factory, it's been lowered a bit and re-constructed out of square tubing. Does anyone offer a mid-length header for silverado trucks?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
my nbs is body dropped with long tubes. so they do fit. but i dont have a y pipe i have straight pipes

·
I likez Suspensionz
4,833 Posts
my nbs is body dropped with long tubes. so they do fit. but i dont have a y pipe i have straight pipes
Dude, there's no way, that's impossible. you have to be lying. :insane2:

If you ask questions and we give you alternatives, that you immediately discredit or turn down, then why do you come here asking questions about bodydropped exhaust ADVICE? people have been bodydropping these trucks for over a decade and almost no one runs midlength headers, because they aren't available for any reasonable price, if you do still find any out there, and you get more benefit from full long tubes anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts