GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you body drop your truck how do you keep your front and rear bumpers even?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
lol. Always me.

Ok when you do a body drop, or you channel your truck, or you do a stock floor, it all works the same. You're dropping the cab over the frame no matter what way you do it.

Picture this: You have a bare truck. It's frame, motor and cab, that's it. Now drop the cab down over the body, let's say 2.5", and leave everything else as is.

If you were to bolt everything up at this point, the front end wouldn't line up. Why? The fenders bolt at two main points; The cab, and the core support. The core support is mounted to the frame, which is now 2.5" HIGHER than the cab. Make sense?

So to accomodate that, you drop the frame horns -- which is where the core support mounts to the frame -- 2.5" to match the cab. On a fullsize chevy, the frame horns are where the front bumper mounts. So if the frame horns are down 2.5", the core is down, then everything matches.

I've very rarely seen a fullsize with a rear bumper that was bodydropped, but it's not impossible. To do it, you'd do the same thing. Drop the rear frame mounts down 2.5" to match the rest of the truck, and mount the bumper.

Any other q's, ask away.

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
kdubaz said:
lol. Always me.

Ok when you do a body drop, or you channel your truck, or you do a stock floor, it all works the same. You're dropping the cab over the frame no matter what way you do it.

Picture this: You have a bare truck. It's frame, motor and cab, that's it. Now drop the cab down over the body, let's say 2.5", and leave everything else as is.

If you were to bolt everything up at this point, the front end wouldn't line up. Why? The fenders bolt at two main points; The cab, and the core support. The core support is mounted to the frame, which is now 2.5" HIGHER than the cab. Make sense?

So to accomodate that, you drop the frame horns -- which is where the core support mounts to the frame -- 2.5" to match the cab. On a fullsize chevy, the frame horns are where the front bumper mounts. So if the frame horns are down 2.5", the core is down, then everything matches.

I've very rarely seen a fullsize with a rear bumper that was bodydropped, but it's not impossible. To do it, you'd do the same thing. Drop the rear frame mounts down 2.5" to match the rest of the truck, and mount the bumper.

Any other q's, ask away.
Everyone's takin notes right? Good info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts