GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gettin a lil ambitious here. Any of you guys know a good site where i can see the steps in a body drop????? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :cheers:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well IFcustoms has done alot and put pics up... Kdubaz aka NationfinestRA did a long ass post on fsc about his body drop.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
Stock Floor is the only way to go anymore.. little more work to do in rebuilding the frame but the space you don't lose will be the biggest prize in the world

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
99redsilv said:
Stock Floor is the only way to go anymore.. little more work to do in rebuilding the frame but the space you don't lose will be the biggest prize in the world
Agreed. Especially if you have a Std cab.
Shyster7 has also done a stock floor on his. He helped me out with questions I had about it. Really nice guy..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well thanks for the props all, so here's my tips.

I actually channelled my truck. Lost a bit of floor, but not enough to sweat. Here's how I did it.

First I cut out the tranny hump area, and on my std cab I also cut out right around the gas tank behind the drivers seat and the area where the driveline comes up. Now I wouldn't do the driveline hole off the bat mainly for cab integrity reasons, but there you go.

The way it works is that the cab mounted body mounts drop down about 1.75" from the factory cab x-member. I cut that 1.75", plated it with 1/4" plate and welded it in. That dropped the cab 1.5". At that point I notched my cowl for the intake manifold. I also cut the cab for the 22's.

Next I cut the stock framehorns off and dropped them down 1". This gave me 2.5" total drop. The tranny came up into the cab now, as did the stock frame, so I built channels of sheetmetal to cover up the frame. Hence the term "Channelling". I also sheetmetalled around the gas tank, cut out the driveline area, and re-sheetmetalled that. All in all, it took a few weeks, but it worked out. I think you might be able to get away with another .5" this way, but 2.5 is all I needed. Any other q's, ask away

·
Registered
32 Posts
well look at you, Mr. Helpfull on the new forum with a new undercover name. I guess when you live in scottsdale you can afford to do things like that. Must be nice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kdubaz said:
First I cut out the tranny hump area, and on my std cab I also cut out right around the gas tank behind the drivers seat and the area where the driveline comes up. Now I wouldn't do the driveline hole off the bat mainly for cab integrity reasons, but there you go.

The way it works is that the cab mounted body mounts drop down about 1.75" from the factory cab x-member. I cut that 1.75", plated it with 1/4" plate and welded it in. That dropped the cab 1.5". At that point I notched my cowl for the intake manifold. I also cut the cab for the 22's.
Nice tip, i hadn't heard of doin it this way before. Did u have to mess with anything with the firewall or steering column?? I'm scared of rippin that dash out, though its gonna have to be done sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Shyster- I've got a spoon right here so you can eat my ass. Now shut up and paint your truck! :)

Silv- I didn't touch the column or the dash. The only firewall work I had to do was b/c of the 22's.

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
kdubaz post some pics of ur truck

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Alrighty Intro, here goes. These pics are a month or so old, but I'll have new ones on Monday when I get the bed back on.

Of course then it'll have a red fleetside bed :)

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
Looks good dude!

·
Registered
119 Posts
kdubaz said:
Alrighty Intro, here goes. These pics are a month or so old, but I'll have new ones on Monday when I get the bed back on.

Is that the truck that was in Street Trucks a few months ago?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
braden1498 said:
Is that the truck that was in Street Trucks a few months ago?
prbly he writes tech articles for them. nice whip kdubaz :rocking:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Actually, I write for a bunch of magazines. Sport Truck, Street Trucks, Super Street, Euro Tuner, Lowrider, Lowrider Edge, etc. I do both features & tech articles, just depends on what I've got in the can.

And yeah, that was the one in Street Trucks. Next time you see it though, it'll have a red fleetside bed :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
kdubaz said:

You gave up on the stepside to easy. There aren't many of us with 'em bodydropped. :anitoof:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts