GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the process of bagging my '86 but when i get that finished I am going to start the bodydrop. I am clear on whats needed from the cab forward but what is a good way to do the bed. I plan to raise the floor so I think all I need to do is raise the floor up and make stand offs for the bed to mount to. Is that all there is to it? Any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
the beds usually have mounting points on the bed floor, so when you raise the floor you and effectively lowering the bed. ive never done a bd before so youll definately want to wait till someone with more exp than me to chime in but, i dont think that youll have to make any kind of mount extension

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am raising the floor enough that I don't have to cut the bed for the notches, which in my case means it has to come up around 9" including the amount of the bodyrop. If I wasn't doing that then I believe you would be correct.

1,932 Posts
holy shit 9" PLUS the amount of the body drop (3-4"?) those older trucks must be something else. My 89 1-ton I did 9.5" of overall bodydrop to the bed. 3 of that was for the acual 3" body drop and the rest was the rasing it to clear the step notches and my truck is setup to lay on a FAT 22. You figure out were to make your cuts on the inside of the bed yet? I personally like the make them as high as I can. Also you got to make sure your cutting on metal that is going strait up and down. So when you lower it it meets up again. If you do a cut on something not flat it wont meet up as easy. But there is no easy how to guide for these kinds of things. IF you had 20 bodydropped beds all lined up there is a good chance not 2 of them were done the same way. Use your head and think it all through. :read: Just make as many strait cuts as you can on strait panels. KISS = keep it simple stupid.:read: Keep that in mind You dont have to go all crazy with the cuts and whatnot just keep them simple. As far as the bed mounts go I never got around to making mine. I acually ended up throwing my bed away cause I didnt like it and it was all dented up anyways. So i never made the mounts. But again keep it simple Maby some 2x2.180 going strait up then have tabs coming off the sides and on those tables make the holes were the bed would bolt to kinda like this

Hole for bed bolts
l
l
V
______________ ____
l l /
l l /
l l /
l l /
l l /
l l /
l l /
l l/
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
----------------- ------------------- This is the frame rail
^
l
l
Right there is were the original bed mount hole on the frame would of been

Add some gussets for strength and do it on all 8 bolts and also set it up so the bed bracing or floor itself sits on the step notches so it is as low as it can be and clean and also it would add strength to the bed floor. Hell you could get all fancy and do some tubing and bend it and make shit. But if you just was it to be functional up there is my idea. She aint pretty but it could work. Hope i was some kinda of help (probibly not) to you. If you need help brain stormin im good. Also if you could take pictures of the inside of your bed (front, sides, tailgate area) I could help and draw on there were I would make the cuts. :shake:

1,932 Posts
that pisses me of the fucking drawing I did dont look right cause it took all my spaces out... mother fucker. I will fix it later

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 9" includes the amount it is being body dropped. Though the drawing didn't come out I know what you meant. The inside of these old beds are pretty straight up and down and the entire floor as far as I can tell is bolted in so I might be able to unbolt the floor and move it up.

I was planning to do a stock floor but now I am leaning heavily towards just channeling it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
These pics might help.. I had my bed floor raised enough for a bodydrop and to clear the notches. You can see the bars used to raise the bed floor...
Gastankandvids010.jpg

Gastankandvids023.jpg

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The 9" includes the amount it is being body dropped. Though the drawing didn't come out I know what you meant. The inside of these old beds are pretty straight up and down and the entire floor as far as I can tell is bolted in so I might be able to unbolt the floor and move it up.

I was planning to do a stock floor but now I am leaning heavily towards just channeling it.
Why are you going to channel it? The only reason i ask is because on the body style you have all you have to do is z the front frame rails and cut about an inch off the bottom of the frame under the cab and reinforce it. That will get you on the rockers.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm nit sure what I will decide. I know a guy that did his by cutting the bottom off of the frame and it definately works. Just seems to me that channeling it would be less work as you just move down the body mounts and then sheetmetal work in the cab. I guess the drawback would be more interference in the engine compartment due to the Z and moving the body down as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts