GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was asking the GM mechanic if a body lift on my truck would be a smart thing to do... He said it would look good but with plowing it wouldn't be a smart idea because it would just rip it off while I was plowing snow. What do you guys think or are any of your running a BL and plowing snow or know somebody who is?

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Doesn't the plow attached to your frame where the tow hooks would be? If so, I wouldn't think it would affect the BL at all. In my opinion.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would look at where the plow would attach to the frame. The tow hook openings do not stay where the tow hooks were. You actually remove the tow hooks from the NBS trucks. I'm not sure about the others. You may have to cut up the valence a lot in order to reach the area where the plow would attach to the frame.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
A bodylift won't affect your plow at all. You'll be fine running a BL on your truck.

On my old 95' K3500 I ran 285's on 16x8's and they were fine in the summer, but when I put the 8' Fisher plow on in the winter they would rub bad. I put a 2" BL on that truck and solved my problems.

The HD's do show a bit of frame with the BL's, but just keep the frame painted up nice and black or add some type of steps to hide the frame rails. It'll look good.

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A bodylift won't affect your plow at all. You'll be fine running a BL on your truck.

On my old 95' K3500 I ran 285's on 16x8's and they were fine in the summer, but when I put the 8' Fisher plow on in the winter they would rub bad. I put a 2" BL on that truck and solved my problems.

The HD's do show a bit of frame with the BL's, but just keep the frame painted up nice and black or add some type of steps to hide the frame rails. It'll look good.
How hard is it to put on a BL. I don't have much expierence working on trucks and if I do put one on I want to do it right so it looks good instead of like crap.

lol that GM mechanic is a tool. bigblue is right.
Yeah thanks man! Good advice.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
Not hard at all... most time consuming part is messing with the bumpers and aligning them right so they look good.

I've done 7 of them and 2 that I helped/BS'd through.

If you get a BL now, you'll want bigger tires again.. I promise ya!!! lol....

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not hard at all... most time consuming part is messing with the bumpers and aligning them right so they look good.

I've done 7 of them and 2 that I helped/BS'd through.

If you get a BL now, you'll want bigger tires again.. I promise ya!!! lol....
Then maybe it would be smartest to wait until I'm ready to get new tires because I might possibly look into getting new wheels as well next time. I guess i'll wait so I can see what I can fit first. What about putting 1500 keys in my truck? I found someone who would sell me used ones for $40. How hard are they to put in and will they give me more lift in the front then my stock keys?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
BL on a Dmax = :puke: I wouldnt do it IMO.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
Yeah, you can add the green keys (stock 1/2ton keys) to yours and crank them some.

I ran green keys cranked up level with 2" rear blks. with 305's on 16x8's and it looked good IMO. You shouldn't need the BL yet unless you want to run 315's/35's on aftermarket wheels. Also if you plan on adding green keys and cranking them a bit, you should think about aftermarket shocks b/c the stockers will be too short.

Green keys, 2" blks, BDS shocks, 305/70/16's, 16x8's--

Green keys, 2" blks, BDS shocks, 3" BL, 315/75/16's, 16x8's--

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, you can add the green keys (stock 1/2ton keys) to yours and crank them some.

I ran green keys cranked up level with 2" rear blks. with 305's on 16x8's and it looked good IMO. You shouldn't need the BL yet unless you want to run 315's/35's on aftermarket wheels. Also if you plan on adding green keys and cranking them a bit, you should think about aftermarket shocks b/c the stockers will be too short.

Green keys, 2" blks, BDS shocks, 305/70/16's, 16x8's--

Green keys, 2" blks, BDS shocks, 3" BL, 315/75/16's, 16x8's--
Okay sounds good. What shocks do you recommend? I know a lot of people say good things about Blistine?

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
Bilsteins are nice... but pricey too. I run the Bilstein 5100s on the HD now with the Cognito have zero complaints about them.

I ran just your standard "white" shock on the truck before with the keys and it was a decent improvement over the stockers. They were BDS shocks.

If you're not planning to do anything else suspension wise, like change it or a lift soon, then you could get the Bilsteins IMO. But, if you're planning on doing something different down the road, I'd save the cash and just run some Skyjackers/Rough Countrys/Ranchos/etc.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Why wouldn't you do it on a Dmax? Is there something different then doing it on a regular HD? I know the kits are different for the two I just wasn't sure what was different about them.
Reason being there is alot more going on. Intercooler piping, Turbo piping, and other issues. I would not want to make it even harder to work on a Dmax. Im sure it is a PITA to install anyways.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I thought i always read that BL were a NOGO on Diesels anyways? I remember they are for the Superduty's due to the plumbing.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
2015 GMC Sierra - Crew/Std bed, 5.3, 4x4, max tow
3,309 Posts
I think the GM mechanic was just thinking about some of the shock the truck takes sometimes with plowing. Maybe thinking the body higher off the frame will put more stress on the body mounts/spacers when these shocks take place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts