GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
always wanting ,never get
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was thinking of getting an rcd 6 inch lift, and i kinda wanted to get a 3" body lift also but the folks ive talked to say a body lift screws things up oh by the way it would be on an 01 sierra ecsb 4wd 1500 with ifs thanks alot tell me the pros and cons please.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I don't see how a body lift screws up anything...sures theres some cons, but also some pros,

Pros:
Looks higher
fit bigger tires
doesn't throw off ur center of gravity much
Cheap
no change in ride (no diff in suspension)

Cons:
gaps under the bed (can be fixed with gap guards)
the engine "sinks" down in the engine compartment
shows more frame
have to have bumper relocators for them to look good.

thats about all the main things i can think about...they are easy to install, usually about $300, and tons of people love them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will never put a body lift on another truck I own. Funny part is I haven't had a single problem w/ my body lift, it's been 100% trouble free. Reason why I wouldn't is the body lift is the easy part it's all the other miscellaneous things like bumper brackets, lift lips, exhaust mods, hitch mods, etc that make it a PITA.

RedneckDude said:
Pros:
doesn't throw off ur center of gravity much

Cons:
the engine "sinks" down in the engine compartment
RedneckDude I'm a little confused by these 2 comments. Since the body is lifted the engine isn't moved which gives you room for larger tires but does not affect the center of gravity so I guess what I'm asking is how is what you said a con?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
some people dont like the look of the motor that far down into the compartment...it can be harder to work on that way too...

Edit: I didn't have time to finish this comment. Since the body is up 3", the center of gravity is SLIGHTLY higher...not enough to make muhc of a difference, but a few hundred pounds is raised up just slighty, but compared to a 3" susp lift, it doesn't really throw the center off much at all...thats pretty much what i meant. I didnt' have time to finish it at school. ill try to explain myself better later on if that doesn't cut it...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I would do another any day of the week, have had zero problems and its not as much of a PITA as boti is makign it sound, Ive installed half a dozen of them.

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I would do another any day of the week, have had zero problems and its not as much of a PITA as boti is makign it sound, Ive installed half a dozen of them.
:read:
This guys knows...he installed my b/l :crazy:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
For the average person that doesn't install a body lift except his/her own truck they ARE a PITA...very time consuming!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
y2kboti said:
For the average person that doesn't install a body lift except his/her own truck they ARE a PITA...very time consuming!
Time consuming? I would guess it could be done in 10 hrs by someone whos never worked on a truck before, 12 max. I do them by myself in about 6 hrs. To me even 12 hrs beats paying for instal.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I think bodylifts are a great way to get up, i would do it on another 1/2 ton easy, its been great and i have a used kit and it installed really easy, i doubt most people can even tell i have one unless they look at the rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would a body lift look better on a truck that has a suspension lift or does it matter either way? I've heard that a body lift is less noticeable on a truck that has a suspension lift. I guess someone with both can better answer this question, because I only have a 6" RCD lift.

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
I have a 2 inch suspension and a 3 inch body cant tell really you just see a little frame

·
Registered
162 Posts
In the daily driven, lightly wheeled, world... body lifts are great. They can make you higher, and they are pretty cheap. You can do a small suspension (tbars/aal), and a body lift and run 35's or 315's. Or you could go with a 6+3 deal and run quite large tires. They look good, and keep your hitch lower, if you ever tow anything. I realize you can get drop hitches, but the longer that drop hitch is, the weaker it can be. Also, if you have a roll pan, it's quite easy to turn your hitch upside down to have it hidden. I've seen it done. If you don't do any hardcore fourwheeling, you won't have any problems.

In the rock crawling (and hardcore fourwheeling) world, body lifts are not great. Even in mud with lots of power. I saw a K5 with a great body and frame with a body lift fall apart in a MUD PIT. He had tons of power, and hit a small mud "wall" in the pit, and the body came off and landed sideways on top of his frame. The consensus (sp?) was that it was due to the body lift. In rock crawling, they serve no purpose. We keep our centers of gravity low, and we need to articulate well. Body lifts still leave the suspension at stock height, and will not increase suspension travel at all. Some people will get a 1" body lift, so that they can fit things between the body and the frame. Like clocking a second transfer case up for ground clearance, or something to that effect. If you are going to wheel it pretty hard, I'd try to keep the suspension lift to a max of 6", and keep the body lift to a max of 1".

If I wasn't planning to do an SAS in the next 6mo-1yr, then I'd have a body lift on my Tahoe. But I have a feeling that the Tahoe will be getting some wheelin action that's a little bit more hardcore then barreling through cornfields, running through ponds and mudpits, and wheeling on some light trails.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
TennesseeZ71 said:
Would a body lift look better on a truck that has a suspension lift or does it matter either way? I've heard that a body lift is less noticeable on a truck that has a suspension lift. I guess someone with both can better answer this question, because I only have a 6" RCD lift.

Having a suspension lift doesn't change the look of a bodylift, i guess the only reason someone woudl say that is because it probably looks better with a larger tire. Suspension by itself looks way better than a bodylift, and suspension. Bodylift by itself with no suspension looks about the same. Your truck would probably look really good with a bodylift as long as you can get bigger tires right away, if you cant do the bodylift later and saveup for the tires so you can do it all at once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What made me think about adding a body lift was when I pulled up next to a factory stock Chevrolet 2500 the other day and it didn't look much different in front-end height than my 1500 truck which has a 6" suspension lift with 315's. I even looked at the cv's and they appeared to be level which led me to believe that the tb's were still set at factory specs. I don't care to be taller than anyone else because I'm satisfied with the way my truck looks now, but when I spend the money I did to lift my truck then have a stock truck be level with mine then I think about going a little taller. If I had it to do all over again I would have gone with a taller suspension lift, because personally I don't care for body lifts for different reasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've installed 4 body lifts. Three on Chevy trucks and one on my tahoe. Well worth the time (a full day at the most - and thats screwing around). Definately beats the install price for 3 inches of added height. If you can turn a wrench......you can put a body lift on. I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this forum is old but I recently bought a 08 GMC Sierra. It has a body lift. Everyone covered the pros and cons based on looks and handling, but I have heard they are dangerous. It took it to the mechanic and he said it's all bolted down tight and secure. Should I be worried?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts