GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been over heating during the summer time, and when pulling heavy loads up North over the hills and such. I though I had a bad radiator so today I dropped it off to have the radiator rotted out, new thermostat, and complete flush done. It's still doing it. The guy at the shop said sometimes that the body lift throws the fan/radiator alignment out or whack enough where the engine gets hot at idle. I called a couple other shops along with an off road shop and they kind of hinted around the bush of the same thing. So what are my options? E- fans?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
never has happened to me.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
id definitely say its time to upgrade to electric fans. Shouldn't be that hard to do either. Be sure you hook them up to a temp guage and not something ghetto like a switch. A guy brought his 89 camaro in with the fans hooked up to a switch. he forgot to turn them on at first so it overheated, then i forgot to turn them off so his battery died.

G

·
They're right. A body lift can misalign your fan shroud and fan compared to your radiator. I'd definitely go e-fans.

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
Hope this does not happen to mine

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So e-fans go in front of radiator (near headlights), or behind radiator (near engine)?

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Depends on what fans you get. Push or pull. Usually they are pull (like the LS Camaro/Corvette e-fans) and they go on the engine side.

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on what fans you get. Push or pull. Usually they are pull (like the LS Camaro/Corvette e-fans) and they go on the engine side.
Thanks, :shake:

I guess I get to order e-fans in the next couple weeks then. Then I do what, pull the fan, and get rid of the shroud, or just pull the shroud? Best place to order them from? I'm so glad I paid all that money to make sure my radiator is good though. :crazy:

G

·
Hit the yards or check on ebay. You can order brand new stuff from a lot of places, but it's more money than you really need to spend. Hooking them up to the PCM is the slickest way to go, but that requires ordering a pigtail harness I believe. I'm not sure if you're in a hurry to get this done or not. My buddy wired up a set of Ford Windstar fans in an afternoon. They cool his Blazer on 42's no problem.

http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154661 I'd ask him about the particulars if there isn't already a tech thread about it here.

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
I could see how you would overheat cause your fan isnt pulling air through the whole radiator anymore. Its mostly pulling just from the top portion of your radiator. I havent had this problem, but like stated, I have e-fans which stay attached to the radiator and still covers the complete radiator.

·
You t-boned me bro!?
2,230 Posts
ask Bumpers, he put some on his 03, hell tell you everything you need to know and where to find em cheap

·
Fluffy and Armed
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt, thank you for posting that. So if I gathered all that info right, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to need a 28" set of fans right? Buying a whole new radiator at this point in the game is a straight up no go. Perhaps later, but I want/need this truck to run cooler now, not in December.

edit: for anyone looking to do this later one, this was helpful...

http://bertok.us/agreif/fans/fanstech.htm

G

·
Matt, thank you for posting that. So if I gathered all that info right, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to need a 28" set of fans right? Buying a whole new radiator at this point in the game is a straight up no go. Perhaps later, but I want/need this truck to run cooler now, not in December.
Don't worry about buying a new radiator. I would simply measure your current one and look for a set that has similar dimensions. Most OEM fans are together with the shroud as a single unit, so it should be simple to find a set.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
the stock 05+ truck fans require the larger radiator to bolt up like stock. theres 2 sets of holes on the rad support and the small rad bolts in place where the fans will need to bolt up...

·
dunemashingismyspieclty
753 Posts
never has happened to me.
because you already have electric fans

id do a 2005+ e-fans swap with out conecting them to the ecm ,just buy an old water valve that opens id say 160 is very vey good for lifted trucks ((you can buy the 1996 impala valve,it should work))

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
because you already have electric fans

id do a 2005+ e-fans swap with out conecting them to the ecm ,just buy an old water valve that opens id say 160 is very vey good for lifted trucks ((you can buy the 1996 impala valve,it should work))
lol your right I didnt really read the whole post:crazy:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
if you are wanting to do junkyard fans, the ford tauras fans might be a good option. they move A TON of air and are easily found. the s10 guys use them all the time. i would think two of them would be plenty for the v8s

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
I have the LS1 fans. Just get them off Ebay, performancetrucks.net (they think theyre gold over there), or LS1tech.com. I got the BB harness that you have to put the pins in the PCM and then have them tuned to turn on with ECT. Had it done in an afternoon with no problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts