GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to a few stores today...seems like noone knows what they are talking about..they all say different things....
whats the advantages/disadvantages of a body lift and the advantages/disadvantages of torsion keys + blocks?
which is better?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
body lift pros- ride quality isn't affected except by the new more aggressive tires
body lift cons- frame rail shows, some trucks will have a gap from the bumper

ford keys +blocks pros- looks great
ford keys +blocks cons- ride is much stiffer and front end components will wear out quicker.

It all kind of depends on what vehicle you're going to put it on. If that 6L in your screen name means you have an HD, don't get a body lift because you'll have a ton of frame rail showing.
If you have a half ton vortec-max or a yukon denali, the body lift is a reasonable choice.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
body you cant level it off. (unless you put a 3" body lift on the cab and a 2" on the bed) :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2001 2500 HD with Rough Country keys and 1.5" block in rear. You will need longer shocks from RC as stockers are too short. I run 295/75/16 on 16x8 American Racing wheels. I had to trim, but for 285's no prob.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
ROUGH COUNTRY KEYS ARE OVERPRICED FORD KEYS :read: i was yelling i didnt foget the caps lock on. This guy posted in 3 threads about how great RC keys are.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Anyone that purchases a "leveling kit" for our trucks needs to be slapped. :imo
While I agree with that, we need to educate them after we slap them.

For instance, my bro-in-law, Al, wants to put 285/70/17's on his 04, but doesn't believe me when I tell them they will clear with his stock keys, and he believes the leveling kits will give him a softer ride. So I had to explain to him what the leveling kit does, and that ford keys are the exact same thing, and he still doesn't believe me. So he has to wait and see my truck with the ford keys and/or RC bars in it before he will not buy the "leveling kit". But that's ok, because rather than him waste 200 bucks, he can wait a little while and see what it looks like.

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
I have a body lift and cranked my bars just a little bit and I'm fairly level, just a touch of cali, so I may have cranked too much but I like how my truck sits and ride quality didn't change much, would have changed more with keys

EDIT: as far as frame goes, different years and models (HD have uber frame) will show different, I don't think mine is that bad as long as i leave the steps on it, I removed them after the BL and waaaaay too much frame imo...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegalosZ71
Anyone that purchases a "leveling kit" for our trucks needs to be slapped.

While I agree with that, we need to educate them after we slap them.

For instance, my bro-in-law, Al, wants to put 285/70/17's on his 04, but doesn't believe me when I tell them they will clear with his stock keys, and he believes the leveling kits will give him a softer ride. So I had to explain to him what the leveling kit does, and that ford keys are the exact same thing, and he still doesn't believe me. So he has to wait and see my truck with the ford keys and/or RC bars in it before he will not buy the "leveling kit". But that's ok, because rather than him waste 200 bucks, he can wait a little while and see what it looks like.
So what would you suggest for my 2500 non-hd? just get a body lift instead?
i jsut hate having the front end of my truck so much lower than the back.

·
2,227 Posts
So what would you suggest for my 2500 non-hd? just get a body lift instead?
i jsut hate having the front end of my truck so much lower than the back.
you can do a mild crank to level it out a bl will do nothing for the front being lower

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the guy at the shop quoted me 500 bucks (canadian) for a body shop...is this an average price or am i getting fucked? sounded kinda high to me.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Im not sure about canadian but its about 500-750 around here ive seen to have a body lift put on. I was going to have mine done because I dont have alot of time but said fuck that I will do it myself, done everything else so far........... its actually not hard just a bit time consuming.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
i got a BL and maxed stock keys, rides like hell since i cranked, but my swampers are wore funny but thats probly why

if u just want 1 of the 2, id so a bodylift, you can fill in all the gaps except for the frame at the bottom, it dont wear parts any quicker, and it doesnt change the ride

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
i got a BL and maxed stock keys, rides like hell since i cranked, but my swampers are wore funny but thats probly why

if u just want 1 of the 2, id so a bodylift, you can fill in all the gaps except for the frame at the bottom, it dont wear parts any quicker, and it doesnt change the ride
if you align it you tires wont wear funny :read: eric you still amaze me :pow:

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,479 Posts
What shop did you goto?

I can look into some other places where I get cost -10% on parts cause I'm a member of CAODC. We get deals at the brick too lol.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh sweet man.

i went to interior offroad..im gona go to that place on 111th today by fountain tire..i forget the name...ill at least get my rubber today probably..
its hard to find salesman that know what they are doing.

PS...tinting in edmonton..NEVER go to tint factory. FUCK.

yeah i work at the brick ahha i get killer deals.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
if you align it you tires wont wear funny :read: eric you still amaze me :pow:
ive had it aligned a million times, i either got a bad wheel bearing(which im bettin on) or a bad alignment shop

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I was referring to people who go out and buy "leveling kits" for lots of money when all they need are some new keys. If I were in your situation, I'd go with cranking/keys.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,479 Posts
oh sweet man.

i went to interior offroad..im gona go to that place on 111th today by fountain tire..i forget the name...ill at least get my rubber today probably..
its hard to find salesman that know what they are doing.

PS...tinting in edmonton..NEVER go to tint factory. FUCK.

yeah i work at the brick ahha i get killer deals.
I always goto malcoms tinting on the west end, great guys over there.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to get some prices for ya, I'll be back in edmonton on the 8th.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts