GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this S-10 and everything that could go wrong has. I don't know what the hell the problem is. 1st I had a hell of a time getting the tailgate shaved then then I let the guy buy the primer and it's good stuff (Dupont about $10 a can) and everytime I spray it has a reaction with the primer that was sprayed on the truck from the 1st time it was painted and the primer lifts. I had to do the antenna 3 times yesterday and still didn't get it right. The guy that I'm doing it for knows some about body work, but is kinda getting pissed at me and it's not my fault at all, it just must not be my week. Anyone know what the hell I can tell him? Someone please reply, I know alot about bodywork and have NEVER had this many problems on anything and it's just pissing me the fuck off.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Tell him he should have bought a full size ;-)

Probably best thing you can do is sand all the old primer off and start from scratch .. or trash it and get some more like you put on in the first place.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't have ALOT of paint and primer on it, but it has been painted one other time than from the factory and for some reason the body shop used a coat of primer then painted the fender instead of just wetsanding the fender and painting it. I don't think I'll need to sand it all the way down, but for some reason he wants to use this primer cause it's a pretty grey (which it is, almost looks white), but it's hard as hell to get to stick. I'm pissed because I've put some time into it that's just been wasted and now I think he thinks I don't know shit about bodywork which also pisses me off.

·
Registered
546 Posts
tell him that he got you to do it and leave you the hell alone and give you time to do it , i hate when people pressure me to do stuff and stand right over you watchin you

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He doesn't stand over me, but he's my friend and I'm not charging him hardly anything to do the work and he expects me to put a full day in on it when I have a research paper for college to write and I have alot of other things to do as well such as baggin his truck, baggin a 4wd S-10, installin some door poppers and shaving the handles on another s-10, lowering a S-10 and installing some LED's which for all of those I'm charging full price not 1/2. What I really hate is people not knowing all the work that goes into doing body work and thinking it should only take about 30 minutes to a hour to shave the door handles and gets pissed when it takes longer than that. I only have 2 hands...

·
Registered
593 Posts
i start auto body collision my senior year in aug. cant wait to get started on my truck. maybe then ill understand how much time and effort is needed

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
coming from a customers standpoint the best thing to do is tell them its going to take twice as long as it should so they will be happy if you get it done on time and they expeted it later

another thing is if your having problems so the guy whats going on and explain to him about the primer and how its not sticking

if they cant understand you want to take your time and do things right then they dont need to be in this hobby/sport/scene

if that dont work bitch slap him and say im doing this shit becuz your my friend and im doing it cheap as hell:LOL:

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
That sucks.

I can understand the fact that a job always seems to take longer than its supposed to. I haven't driven my truck since June 1st. Paint and bodywork was supposed to take 2 weeks. I try my best to be understanding because I don't want them to rush through and maybe mess something up.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
not sure if this will work, but what if you sprayed a light light coat of another color ontop of the old primer, then sanded a little, then sprayed the new primer, just so it will give it something to stick too, and not really react with. i dont know, just an idea.

Dan

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure if this will work, but what if you sprayed a light light coat of another color ontop of the old primer, then sanded a little, then sprayed the new primer, just so it will give it something to stick too, and not really react with. i dont know, just an idea.
I did that yesterday and it worked, but now I told him he can do all the shit himself, he was sayin some shit about a place that he sanded down and was blaming me for it, pretty much everyone hates him now. I told him that I know a hell alot more about body work than he does and to shut the fuck up unless he wants his ass kicked. I ain't got time for idiots running their mouth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok guys, i painted the truck listed in here under "bad a$$ silverado"
what it sounds like, is 1.. the paint that you are trying to get your primer to stick to, is a single stage maybe, 2.. you are spraying on the new primer too heavy or wet 3.. you have too much reducer in your primer,
what i would recomend, since i am very familiar with dupont, go and get some v-4904 primer, and accociated hardner and tell him to take the cheap crap home or take it back!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man it sounds like it's a single stage primer then cause the spray primer he has was like $10 a can and I got some $4 primer to stick to it fine.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
just tell him the truth, whats wrong and that its gonna take a little longer, your givin him a deal it seems so he can shove it :head:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went off on him and told him he better quit running his mouth and that he can do his own damn work. I saw the truck out in town last night, the body work looks like shit now...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Naw I had it straight the other day, but the primer was lifting, from where he doesn't know that you're suppose to block it has all kinds of low spots in it from where he sanded the primer off and reshot it. Oh well I'm getting paid to bag a S-10 now :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.